Assistant Manager, CNC Digital Tools
New York City
PSD/Academic Facilities Resources
Oversee daily workings of Making Center Facilities (as assigned) including but not limited to L3 CNC Shop and E2 CNC Shop as well as E4 Laser Lab, L2 3D Lab, Digital Tools Satellite Store Support and Tool/Equipment Checkout.
Management of full-time and part-time technicians, and student workers, including interviewing, hiring, training, scheduling, tracking accountability, task assignment, scheduling/attending team and one on one meetings, and coordination and/or providing emergency coverage for unexpected absences.
Management of a fixed budget including tracking, planning,and prioritization of expenses related to inventories, schedules, projects, and repairs.
Work with the Associate Director on the following:
Facility improvement projects, shows and installations, and special initiatives as needed.
Hardware/software purchase recommendations as they pertain to the curriculum
Maintaining policies and systems for checkout, satellite store, scheduling, record keeping, and inventories, in addition to generating macro and micro levels of usage data and statics - evaluating and updating these as needed.
Organize calendars and communications for facilities: including creation of website updates, shop signage, safety orientations, technical/instructional documentation for labs/equipment, workshops, class demos, deliveries, special events, and modified holiday hours.
Work across systems in the Making Center, connecting separate areas in order to streamline efficiency and communication
Adapt to changes in the work environment; adjust approach and prioritize competing demands as necessary.
Provide a high level of customer service, maintaining a positive and professional demeanor and attitude in all interactions with students, faculty, and staff.
Cultivate a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming learning environment with productive and positive workplace relationships.
Stay current with relevant technology and developments within the field.
Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- A Bachelor's Degree and 3-5 years relevant or professional experience within the industry.
- Flexible schedule - ability to work non-traditional schedules that may include nights and weekends, in addition to schedule shifts with semester changes.
- Completion of university required staff trainings and necessary COF's for all Making Center Facilities within the first 6 months of employment.
- Become well versed in Digital Tools student-facing, systems, and internal productivity software and policies within the first 6 months in the position.
- Advanced knowledge of working across materials and fabrication techniques, with full comprehensive experience in some or all of the following: 3D printing, laser cutting, analog fabrication techniques and troubleshooting fabrication software and equipment.
- Full technical knowledge of CNC equipment and CAD/CAM software for subtractive manufacturing/fabrication.
- Understanding of working in a cross-platform (Windows and macOS) environment and familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud, 3D design software such as Rhino and Fusion, and the Google Suite.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, close attention to detail, and strong organizational and time management abilities.
- Proven track record of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, with a strong ability to support students working in an interdisciplinary manner from concept to realization.
- Knowledge of and aspiration to build and support respectful shop/studio culture.
- A desire to learn new skills and processes related to Parsons Making Center initiatives.
- Experience supervising a team.
- Capabilities in some or all of the following processes: manual machining (mill, lathe), molding and casting, electronics and physical computing.
- Basic web skills and ability to maintain informational pages on processes and policies.
- Experience troubleshooting, maintaining and repairing fabrication equipment.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues with software and workstation interfacing with digital tools.
- Experience following sustainable and environmentally friendly design and fabrication practices.
- Knowledge of Webcheckout or comparable equipment management systems a plus.
- Experience with large-scale hardware and software deployments a plus.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Open Until Filled