Job Description SummaryWith limited direction from the Sr. Manager, Mold/Tools Operations, Staff Engineer - Molding & Tools Operations leads the development of manufacturing process technologies with specific focus on tool design for BD Diabetes Care products. Also, supports new product introductions with concept development, prototyping and commercialization of new equipment technology. Supports manufacturing plants in cost reduction, standardization and equipment upgrade projects. Works closely with R&D and manufacturing plants to implement manufacturing technologies. Job Description
Molding & Tools Operations / Manufacturing Process Technology
- Leads development and design of high volume production tools and processes (primarily injection molding), including pilot production, process feasibility, optimization and validation. Knowledge of various assembly techniques and types of platforms and packaging is plus.
- Leads design, built and validate high cavitation tools using different types of hot runner systems, gating technology for plastic parts with very tight tolerances.
- Leads the efforts on developing new solutions in high cavitation tool and hot runner design for small and intricate plastic components with high capability requirements.
- Leads the purchase of production equipment. Develops the specifications and acceptance protocols.
- Leads the management of vendors in the design, development and implementation of manufacturing equipment.
- Leads the application of six-sigma and lean manufacturing methodologies in projects to optimize manufacturing equipment.
- Develops molding processes by following scientific injection molding principles, designing and/or performing DOEs, data analysis, preparation of reports, and providing recommendations.
- Leads project's manufacturing & tooling strategy from technical as well as business needs stand point.
- Applies BD-standardized manufacturing technologies, practices and protocols.
- Supports the manufacturing plants in cost reduction, standardization and equipment upgrade projects.
- Provides input into department strategy.
Knowledge & Problem Solving
- Applies extensive and in-depth technical expertise in a manufacturing process technology and has extensive knowledge of other related process technologies. Develops technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Guides the successful completion of major manufacturing initiatives and may function in a project leadership role. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve major objectives.
Discretion / Latitude
- Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical and business objectives of assignment.
- Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- Manages complex projects to design, prototype, build and commercialize manufacturing process equipment. Initiate, plan, execute, monitor, control, and close these projects.
Cross Functional Collaboration
- Works with product design and development teams to ensure robust manufacturability of new products and to estimate capital and product costs.
- Works with diverse functions and manufacturing sites to achieve project goals.
- Collaborates with teams of engineers and technicians and coordinate resources to achieve project and business goals.
- Provides status reports to management in a timely basis.
- Follows division policies and guidelines
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience & Education:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires minimum B.S. Plastics/Mechanical or other relevant engineering discipline plus 7+ years of experience in all areas of Plastics Engineering with focus on medical device design, high cavitation tool design, molding process development using scientific injection molding principles, molding technology sensing, evaluation and implementation, project management and the design / implementation of manufacturing equipment / processes. Experience in the area of Medical sterile disposable devices is preferable. Experience in working with equipment suppliers and all levels of manufacturing plant personnel.
- Must understand the overall project and business requirements and recommend manufacturing strategy to support successful product launches with potential annual sales in the range of $40 - $400 million.
- Strategic grasp of manufacturing best practices, state of the art and latest manufacturing technology in the plastic molding area.
- Experience in sensing, developing and implementation of new technologies in plastics injection molding tools, processes & platforms, hot runner designs and product handling.
- Ability to work and influence decision-makers across multiple sites/levels of manufacturing sophistication.
- Knowledge of the interrelationship of Manufacturing Operations and Finance, Quality, Regulatory and Supply Chain in an FDA/ISO regulated environment. Experience in interfacing with these functions to achieve objectives.
- Experience in preparing equipment specifications, capital appropriations and process validation documentation.
- Enhanced skills & abilities:
- Executes responsibilities with a large degree of autonomy requiring minimal day-to-day oversight by immediate supervisor.
- Interpersonal savvy to engage and gain the support of associates in various positions of responsibility and in various functions within BD worldwide. This includes associates in these functions who occupy positions of authority that is equal to, greater than or less than the incumbent. Ability to clearly communicate value proposition of new technologies, designs, project plans and resource requirements to gain the support of these individuals.
- Enhanced complexity with the ability to deal with a wide variety of processes such as molding (micro molding), assembly (electro-mechanical, plastic components etc.), inspection methods, packaging and sterilization of which any combination must meet the integrated requirements of medical use, chemical / biological compatibility, manufacturability, and acceptable cost.
- Enhanced influence and authority representing BD when interfacing with external vendors / suppliers as designs and processes are developed/finalized and capital equipment is purchased.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an EqualOpportunity/AffirmativeAction Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes Additional Locations Work Shift
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.