At Graphic Packaging International (NYSE: GPK), we produce the box you may have poured your child's cereal from this morning, the microwaveable tray that heated your lunch, the paper cup that held your coffee throughout the day, and the carrier of those bottles of craft beer you may enjoy tonight! We're one of the largest manufacturers of paperboard and paper-based packaging for some of the world's most recognized brands of food, beverage, foodservice, household, personal care and pet care products. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, we are a team of collaborative, innovative, passionate individuals who are committed to providing consumer packaging that makes a world of difference.
With almost 18,000 employees working in more than 70 locations in North and South America, Europe and the Pacific Rim, we strive to be an environmentally responsible leader in our industry and in the communities where we operate. We are committed to workplace diversity and offer compensation and benefits programs that are among the industry's best to reward the talented people who make our company successful.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, we'd love to hear from you. Learn more about us at www.graphicpkg.com.
Inspired Packaging. A World of Difference. JOB SUMMARY:
The Innovation Engineer position is an early career position in GPI's Foodservice business with responsibilities for leading and supporting product and process development initiatives for the business. The candidate will work with internal and external resources to conceive, develop and implement new products & processes in GPI's Foodservice business. The role also has the responsibility to develop fundamental knowledge of paper cup and plastic lid manufacturing process through application of scientific and engineering principles and well-designed experimentation. The position is part of a world class talented engineering & technical team in the Foodservice Engineering & Product Development Center and will report to the Manager, Product Development. JOB FUNCTIONS:
BACKGROUND / EXPERIENCE:
- Lead and support cross-functional innovation projects in foodservice packaging.
- Lead the benchmarking and analysis of new and existing foodservice packaging.
- Develop subject matter expertise in foodservice converting applications and processes.
- Coordinate work with internal & external resources, vendors, industry experts, and academic institutions to advance concepts and projects through innovation pipeline.
- Conduct statistically designed experiments and rigorous analysis to advance projects through innovation pipeline.
- Design and develop products using engineering best practices to support the innovation process.
- Provide detailed technical reports and document all work to pursue intellectual property.
- Facilitate, encourage, promote, and engage in teamwork activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION / KNOWLEDGE:
- 2-5 years of experience in product or equipment design, or materials science within an innovation pipeline is required.
- Experience designing and executing initiatives utilizing Design of Experiments (DOE).
- Applied understanding of structural and mechanical design fundamentals.
- Experience designing components and operating equipment for additive manufacturing is a strong plus.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Packaging Science, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science, or related field is required.
- Post-graduate course work in a STEM field is a plus.
- Must have demonstrated Experimental Design & Statistical Modeling experience.
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills.
- Experience with FEA and CFD analysis is strongly preferred.
- Must have practical CAD design experience. Experience with SolidWorks is preferred.
- Must have demonstrated oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and the ability to drive multiple concurrent assignments to completion.
- Must have the ability to be self-directed and manage priorities.
- General schedule is an 8-hour M-F assignment, however, employee must be willing to work alternate schedules in some situations which may include extended hours, early mornings, nights, and/or weekends.
- Position may require up to 25% travel.
- Occasional overnight travel to include flying, driving, riding or by rail.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time up to 8-hours.
- Occasional Lifting up to 40 lbs.
- Reading computer screen or other electronic devices.
- Use of various office hand and electrical tools or equipment.
- Work in areas of fluctuating temperature.
GRAPHIC PACKAGING INTERNATIONAL, INC.
- Integrity & Trust
- Action Oriented
- Drive for Results
- Problem Solving
- Technical Learning
is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee's or applicant's race, color, sex, age, religion, natural origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap, or disability, marital status, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law. Nearest Major Market:
Waukesha Nearest Secondary Market:
Milwaukee Job Segment:
Manufacturing Engineer, Electrical, Engineer, Chemical Engineer, Drafting, Engineering