External Affairs is responsible for the development and implementation of public, social and media relations strategies to advance business and reputation goals. Encompasses public relations and awareness building strategies, national, trade and social media relations, thought leadership, crisis communications, reputation and issues management.
This person will be responsible for corporate external communications, with a focus on the strategy through implementation of successful programs, initiatives and activations that align to Cardinal Health's corporate reputation and business objectives and enhance stakeholder perception and competitive position. This role also has responsibility for leading all crisis communications plans and the development of fully operational external affairs function.
The successful candidate should have deep experience in articulating a corporate narrative through proactive public relations, advocacy, partnerships, earned and paid media social engagement and financial media communications. The candidate must have extensive experience leading communications efforts to address high profile crisis situations and issues management. She/he should be a trusted and respected leader and have effective relationships with key healthcare media and other influencers externally while having a track record of serving as a trusted communications advisor to C-suite executives internally.
- Develop and execute a corporate external communications and public and media relations strategy that supports Cardinal Health's business goals while enhancing the image and reputation of the company
- Create and execute an ongoing enterprise wide plan with initiatives and programs that contribute to advancing the company and business unit's strategies and drive clearly defined messages across all channels, reaching and engaging key stakeholders such as investors, customers, business partners, patients, policy makers and local communities
- Proactively provides public relations strategy to senior business leaders, marketing, communications and other internal colleagues to deliver effective issues management
- Leverage opportunities around key corporate and business events such as earnings, deals, distribution center openings and company milestones, as well as key civic and community programs demonstrating corporate responsibility to enhance Cardinal Health's image and reputation
- Establish and develop key relationships with journalists and other key influencers by managing appropriate access to executives in order to build understanding and confidence in Cardinal Health's leaders and business
- Utilizes broad and deep knowledge to develop innovative new communications practices, policies and procedures
- Collaborates with communications, creative, digital, public relations, government relations and other key internal teams as necessary to achieve objectives
- Talent development mindset with a track record of attracting, developing and managing a diverse pipeline of successful leaders and bench
- Executive presence with the ability to inspire confidence among leaders and all stakeholders internally and externally
- Successful track record of creating, implementing and managing a media relations presence and strategy
- Significant understanding and experience working in both traditional and social media space as well as through other non-traditional media such as influencers, advocacy groups, NGOs
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to evolve and elevate the company's processes and strategies with changing trends in the media landscape
- Strong business and financial acumen with the ability to anticipate company and team needs
- Excellent organization and project management skills and a demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects to budget and schedule.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong partnerships with all facets of the organization to develop and execute plans, leveraging various teams across the organization
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, mass media or communications is ideal; graduate degree preferred
- 12+ years of managing strategic communications programs and teams that improve the value of the company
- Demonstrated experience working with and advising senior leadership
- Deep public and media relations experience, ideally in both a corporate and agency and / or prior work as a reporter or journalist
- Proven track record of success in managing crisis communications, issues and financial events appropriately
Posting ID: 555163087Posted: 2020-07-14