Why We're Here
We believe heartfelt, human connections make people's lives better. Especially the people who work here.
Our founder, Bill Kimpton rebelled against impersonal, generic hospitality that makes people feel disconnected. He initiated a new boutique hotel standard and environment where people could connect, from the heart. That was the goal then, and it is still our purpose today.
Your work here has meaning. You're here to improve the lives of coworkers, guests, owners, communities, and together we make that happen. It's what drives all that we do. Every day you can improve lives in your own, unique way and you can expect the same in return. It all starts with you.
How We're Different
Our San Francisco-born entrepreneurial spirit and zest for life kick started this culture in 1981, and it shines through to this day.
It all flows from you. The lively, rebellious, genuine you - with your diverse background, talents, experiences, and plucky personality - is fully welcome, and celebrated here. Because we know that when people can be themselves at work, they shine.
That's what we seek out and celebrate. It's people of all kinds who share a knack for creativity and self-leadership. People who don't need to be told what to do to get things done. People who have an innate passion for making others' lives better.
It adds up to a work environment that's a bit quirky, irreverent, exciting, uncommon, empowering, and downright exceptional. Guests feel it; you'll feel it too.
What You'll Do
Use your experience and knowledge of food industry trends, classics, and seasonal ingredients to create an exciting, innovative, and delicious seasonal menu! Lead daily operations with efficiency, integrity, patience, awareness, and compassion. You'll own team leadership, communication, training, development, and problem resolution all the while providing outstanding service to our guests along the way. You'll act as an advocate for the restaurant, be a creator of ridiculously personal experiences, and develop relationships with guests that will compel them to return.
Some of Your Responsibilities:
- Make sure all food products are consistently prepared and served according to recipes, portioning, and cooking standards.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Perform inventory and purchasing responsibilities daily.
- Receive all products in correct unit count and condition and ensure deliveries are performed in accordance with receiving policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the supervision of the daily cleaning of the pantry, cooking line, prep kitchen, dish area, stairs, walk-in, and downstairs prep area.
- Responsible for meeting financial targets while achieving food quality and service objectives.
- Ensure all equipment is kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant's preventative maintenance programs.
- Foster opportunities for the team to learn, grow, and develop their abilities, collaborate with your staff to create a culture and work environment founded on respect.
- Continually strive to develop your staff in all areas of managerial and professional development as well as in food education.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports, and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Fully understand and follow all regulations that pertain to health, safety, and labor requirements of the restaurant, employees, and guests.
- Schedule labor while ensuring that all positions are staffed when needed while maintaining labor cost objectives.
- Lead and participate in ongoing service education through facilitating daily line-ups, quarterly menu meetings, and new back and front of house training programs.
- Interview, hire, and train employees; plan, assign, and direct work; appraise performance; reward and discipline employees; address complaints and offer positive solutions to issues.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding employees and together with the People + Culture Representative administer prompt, fair, and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules, and procedures.
What You Bring
- 2 or 4 year degree in Culinary Arts or Hospitality Management is preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as an Executive Chef, preferably leading large, fast-paced, multi-outlet kitchens.
- Passionate about industry trends and techniques and knowledgeable of product, presentation, quality, and preparation, menu concept, design, food costing, and people management.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills that foster positive working relationships with all teammates.
- Able to work with PR and Marketing in the creation of campaigns and budgets.
- Flexible schedule, available to work weekends, nights, mornings, and holidays when needed.
- Food Handler Certification, Alcohol Awareness Certification (if applicable).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, restaurant POS system, inventory management and/or procurement software experience, payroll and timekeeping software, business & accounting software may be required.
Differences make a difference. We are committed to creating a culture that reflects the diversity of our hotel and restaurant guests. With that goal in mind, we encourage each of our employees to understand, accept, and celebrate differences among people. That includes different personalities, lifestyles, work styles, education, and experience. We also welcome and embrace people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, physical abilities, sexual orientation, gender identities and genders. For our complete EEO policy click here. Be Yourself. Lead Yourself. Make it Count.