About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis-caring for the whole person-MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
The BMT program at Medstar Georgetown is partnered with the John Theurer Cancer Center in Hackensack, NJ. Medstar Georgetown Lombardi Cancer Comprehensive Cancer Center is the only National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated comprehensive cancer center in the Washington, D.C. area. Job Summary
Functions as a Nurse Practitioner to provide comprehensive care to a designated patient population. Performs physical and psychological assessments, diagnosis and treatment of episodic illnesses in collaboration with physicians; performs diagnostic procedures, oversees the administration of chemotherapy, immunotherapy, blood products and supportive therapies, coordinates and communicates all aspects of care with patients/family and the health care team. These functions are performed in accordance with MedStar Georgetown's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.Minimum Qualifications
- Education/Training: Nurse Practitioner with a Master's Degree in Nursing or Science.
- Experienced: Minimum of 3 years experience in Hematology/Oncology and /or Blood and Marrow Transplant, with a minimum of 2 years experience in an acute care facility. Experience in a university teaching hospital preferred.
- License/Certification/Registration: Current D.C. license as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with patients/families as well as staff and physicians; excellent clinical knowledge base in Oncology Demonstrates strong leadership skills and the ability to function independently.
CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO AN APPROPRIATE COMBINATION OF EDUCATION/TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs physical and psychological assessment, diagnoses and treats episodic illnesses for a designated patient population.
- Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in accordance with standards.
- Provides ongoing education resource to patients and their families.
- Oversee the administration of chemotherapy, immunotherapy, blood products and supportive therapy such as hydration, antibiotics, electrolyte replacement and pain medications in accordance with hospital policy. Oversight of inpatients for designated population as assigned.
- Coordinates and communicates all aspects of patient care to patient, family, and health care team i.e. Art Therapy, social work, inpatient unit, school community, referring physicians.
- Responsible for personal and professional growth and development.
- Plans, directs, implements, monitors and evaluates a weekday nursing care delivery system for a clinical area to assure that the nursing care performed is according to standard.
- Coordinates and collaborates with nursing staff, support staff, physicians, patients families, and other departments in order to provide patient and unit services.
- Promotes the professional growth and development of staff by planning for, participating in and evaluating educational opportunities.
About MedStar Health
- Determines, approves, and facilitates the degree and type of participation by self and nursing department staff on the unit in research and development activities.
- Appraises, forecasts, and determines a desired set of future conditions and strategies required to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization within the incumbent's area of expertise.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.