Assume primary clinical responsibility for all respiratory care modalities & to exercise considerable independent clinical judgment in the respiratory care of patients.
Reads & evaluates physician's orders, clarifying as needed
Accurately transcribes physician orders to electronic charting system or departmental patient master.
Reviews patient information including history, lab data, radiologic studies, progress notes, respiratory
& cardiovascular monitoring data & performs assessment/data collection in systematic manner
Systematically assesses patient's overall cardiopulmonary status by inspection, palpation, percussion,
auscultation, & patient interview
Interprets data to formulate goal-directed plan of care & determines requirements for treatment such
as type & duration of therapy, precautions to be observed, equipment required, & medication &
Determines modifications to physician orders, which optimize patient, care & makes
recommendations to physician.
Recommends procedures to obtain additional data including radiographs, bronchoscopy, Gram stain
& C&S, spirometry, blood gas analysis, lung mechanics, work of breathing, EKG, noninvasive
Performs procedures & interprets results: ABG sampling & analysis, co-oximetry, spirometry,
pressure-volume & flow-volume loops, cuff pressure, sputum induction.
May perform EKG's
May place Holter monitor
May perform pulmonary function, & sleep diagnostic tests
May perform Exercise Stress Tests
May perform indirect calorimetry
Selects, assembles & checks equipment for cleanliness, proper function & safe operation.
Ensures proper function & ready availability of respiratory related life support equipment
Troubleshoots & performs minor repairs of equipment
May perform Quality control procedures for blood analysis devices
May perform Quality control, calibrate, maintain & troubleshoot pulmonary function diagnostic
Participates in routine departmental programs of cleaning, disinfecting & sterilizing of respiratory care
& other related equipment
Participates in routine departmental preventive maintenance program & performs basic repairs
Orders/stocks departmental supplies
Operates all medical equipment within manufacturer & dept guidelines to safely treat patients.
Checks & adjusts alarms
Observes established safety & security procedures & protects patients from nosocomial infection.
Explains planned therapy or procedure & goals to patient in understandable terms to achieve optimal
Conducts therapeutic procedures to maintain a patent airway, remove bronchopulmonary secretions,
&/or achieve adequate ventilation & oxygenation
Monitors patient's physiological responses to therapy, recognizes patient adverse reaction & stops or
modifies or recommends modification to procedure based on patient response
Documents all required information in the medical record according to departmental policy &
Initiates pressure-cycled/volume-cycled/high frequency ventilation
Weans/modifies mechanical ventilation according to assessment & physician orders
Assists with or performs extubation
Conducts patient education & disease management
Performs cardiopulmonary resuscitation according to resuscitation guidelines
May assist with or perform intubation
May assist the physician when performing bronchoscopy, thoracentesis, tracheostomy, cardioversion,
May participate in land/air critical care transport
May assist with high risk deliveries
May assist with surfactant replacement in neonates
May participate in pulmonary rehabilitation, home care
May assist with discharge planning
May assist with community outreach
May initiate & implement therapist driven protocols
- At least one (1) year of recent critical care experience preferred, may be required for this particular position
- At least one (1) year of clinical experience in neonatal/pediatric respiratory care preferred, may be required for this particular position
- High School Diploma/GED
- Graduate of an accredited respiratory care education program supported by CoARC or accredited by CAAHEP, required, with 62 semester hours of college credit, including a background in the basic sciences, or a baccalaureate degree in an area other than respiratory care or Associates of Arts of Science degree, preferred. Current Kaiser Permanente employees who received their RCP license prior to 1986 are exempt from this educational requirement
- Licensed Respiratory Care Practitioner in the State of California
- Registered by the National Board of Respiratory Care
- Certification (CRT) from the National Board of Respiratory Care. (Respiratory Care Practitioners who received their RCP license prior to 1986 & currently working at Kaiser Permanente are exempt from obtaining their CRT credential.
- BLS required
- Certified or Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist by the National Board for Respiratory Care, preferred, may be required for this particular position
- Registered by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists, preferred, may be required for this particular position
- Neonatal/Pediatric Specialist by the National Board, preferred, may be required for this particular position
- Depending on the particular specialty, ACLS, NRP or PALS may be required for this particular position
- Ability to read & comprehend simple instructions, technical manuals, & short correspondence or memos
- Ability to write simple correspondence
- Ability to speak & underst& spoken English
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one & small group situations to customers, clients, & other employees of the organization
- Keyboard skills preferred
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement
Primary Location: California,Manteca,Manteca Medical Center 1777 W. Yosemite Ave. Scheduled Weekly Hours: 0 Shift: Day Workdays: On-Call Working Hours Start: 7:00 AM Working Hours End: 7:30 PM Job Schedule: Call-in/On-Call Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation: United Healthcare Workers - West Job Level: Individual Contributor Job Category: Rehab Services Specialty: Pulmonary / Respiratory Therapy Department: Respiratory Therapy Travel: No Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.