Performs chemical, microscopic, & bacteriologic tests to provide data for use in treatment & diagnosis of disease. Applies techniques used in fields of microbiology, histo-pathology, hematology, diagnostic immunology, immunohematology, chemistry or morphological examinations.
- Conducts laboratory testing. Initiates & implements course of action based upon standard operating procedures.
- Organizes work flow to accomplish efficient & accurate output. Reviews & verifies results for accuracy, & credibility prior to release. Records & reports results in timely manner.
- Problem-solves to achieve acceptable test results & assures optimal system & instrument operations.
- Interprets & verifies lab findings w/regard to type & quality of specimen submitted. Correlates test results w/available clinical information & other laboratory data.
- Analyzes & evaluates each process of testing to assure final results are valid & accurate. Maintains & updates technical knowledge & skills by actively participating in department meetings, continuing education, & in-service instructions. Assists in development of operational procedures to ensure effective workflow.
- Serves as resource w/automated & other equipment, & in standard operation decision-making. Coordinates laboratory operations in absence of supervisor.
- Ensures compliance w/Quality Control & Quality Assurance Programs. Addresses quality of service issues, & to implement internal quality assurance monitors or projects.
- Takes corrective action to resolve problems. Reviews unresolved problems w/supervisor. Reports action limit results according to standard procedures.
- May serve as Testing Personnel as defined by CLIA '88 for High Complexity Testing. The testing personnel are responsible for specimen processing, test performance & for reporting test results. Each individual performs only those high complexity tests that are authorized by the laboratory director & require a degree of skill commensurate w/the individual's education, training or experience, & technical abilities. Each individual performing high complexity testing must follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling & processing, test analyses, reporting & maintaining records of patient test results; maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens; adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument & procedural calibrations & maintenance performed;Follow the laboratory's established policies & procedures whenever test systems are not w/in the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance;Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results & either must correct the problems or immediately notify the supervisor;& document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications. If not qualified to perform testing independently, must perform high complexity testing only under the onsite direct supervision of a supervisor.
- Performs proficiency testing & reports results.
- Advises providers & nursing service personnel of correct procedures for collection, handling & processing of specimens. Assists providers in determining appropriate laboratory services to be used for patient care.
- Assists in training of technical students &/or new technologist employees.
- Assists in development of technical procedures & in writing training procedures. Reviews & critiques new procedures developed by others.
- Detects & repairs subtle instrument &/or reagent problems.
- Appropriate clinical internship.
- Bachelor's degree in medical technology from accredited school OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
License, Certification, Registration
- Valid Hawaii Clinical Laboratory Technologist license (must meet education requirement(s) for Hawaii State licensure).
- Good knowledge and skills of general clinical lab.
Primary Location: Hawaii,Honolulu,Malama Ohana SNF/Lab 3288 Moanalua Rd. Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Variable Workdays: Variable Working Hours Start: Variable Working Hours End: Variable Job Schedule: Full-time Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation: Non-Union, Non-Exempt Job Level: Individual Contributor Job Category: Laboratory Department: Microbiology Travel: No Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Posting ID: 555275738Posted: 2020-05-27