Job DescriptionJob Title:
Registered Nurse - Trauma Medical OncologyJob ID:
Day Shift with rotation prnShift:
, Altoona PA Description
T14 Trauma Medical Oncology
.7 Flex Full-Time Day Shift with rotation prn
Tower 14 trauma medical oncology is an 18-bed medical telemetry unit specializing in caring for oncology and palliative care patients. Our nurses are the only inpatient nurses in the hospital trained to administer chemotherapy. We are the only unit in the hospital equipped with 5 palliative care suites to accommodate our palliative patients and families. In addition to our specialty care areas, our nurses have the opportunity to take care of a wide range of medical patients and low acuity trauma patients.
What makes Tower 14 trauma medical oncology an exceptional place to work? We have a team of amazing team members who collaborate to provide excellent care to our diverse patient population. Our wide variety of patients offers each nurse the opportunity to experience various clinical experiences on a daily basis.
As a team member on Tower 14 trauma medical oncology, you will enjoy a supportive team environment, a leadership team that is invested in your growth, and diverse learning opportunities. Come join our team and rise with us on Tower 14! Purpose:
Provides direct and indirect care to patients utilizing the nursing process. Provides leadership for the nursing team, and contributes to the education of a variety of members of the staff and students.Responsibilities:
QualificationsEducation and Formal Training Required:
- Planning: a. Includes the patient and family/significant other in the formulation of the plan of care. b. Prioritizes patient's needs appropriately. c. Plans, conducts, and documents patient care conferences. d. Maintains a current plan of care for each assigned patient. e. Utilizes appropriate community agencies and other health care professionals in planning care.
- Serves as a consultant to other members of the health-care team.
- Demonstrates professionalism in providing patient care.
- Evaluation: a. Revises plan of care, as necessary based on daily evaluation of patient. b. Evaluates patient's outcome based on previously defined goals. c. Evaluates and documents the patient's response to care, teaching, and treatment.
- Implementation: a. Utilizes nursing care protocols and standards. b. Carries out and documents procedures according to Hospital Policy. c. Performs technical skills safely and accurately, and demonstrates a working knowledge of equipment. d. Transcribes and implements physicians' orders appropriately. e. Demonstrates knowledge of the physiological basis for the nursing care delivery. f. Demonstrates knowledge of medication and IV therapy administration according to policy. g. Initiates and coordinates health teaching for patients and families/significant other based on individual needs.
- Identifies environmental factors which deter effective patient care, initiates action, and contributes ideas towards resolution.
- Identified potential problems and initiates appropriate measures.
- Utilizes Bed Management System, Alpha, CPOE, and all other computer systems appropriately,
- Assessment: a. Assesses patient and family needs and documents this information appropriately in the computer or on appropriate form. b. Reassesses patient every eight hours, and, as necessary.
- Adheres to universal precautions.
- Complies with established occupational exposure policies.
- Engages the medical staff and other professionals in discussion of patient care problems resulting in mutually developed plans of care.
- Completes annual competency validation activities.
- Maintains proficiency and competency in point of care testing as defined in the evaluation criteria established by the laboratory.
Must hold a current license to practice nursing in the State of Pennsylvania; must satisfactorily complete the Nursing Department's orientation program and probationary period. Must complete NIHSS education prior to end of orientation period, if required. Experience Required:
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- ACLS preferred, BLS required. PALS for specific units.
- Must maintain six stroke and six trauma competencies per year.
- Must attend Trauma Symposium yearly.
- Must maintain eight stroke and six trauma competencies per year.
- Must attend Trauma Symposium yearly.
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Act 34
GN level candidate starting rate - $26.31 (BSN $27.56)
Experienced RN starting rate - starting rate commensurate with experience (BSN differential: $1.25)
When you are ready to take your career to the next level, UPMC Altoona has a RN Career Ladder, which allows you to enhance your practice and receive additional compensation! Ask your recruiter for details! Salary Range:
$0 / hourUnion Position:
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.