McLean 2 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
UX Designer - United Income
United Income is a financial technology company, headquartered in Washington, DC, that was recently acquired by Capital One. We combine the latest technology with time-tested wisdom to better understand the interconnectedness of our financial lives, allowing us to lower client's taxes, boost retirement benefits, and improve the quality of investment management.
We have over $1 billion of assets under management, 99 percent client retention, and 88 percent of clients have had their fees reduced (since our technology lowers our operating costs, which we share with our clients). We've attracted over 200 media stories about the company's wealth-building innovations and thought leadership, including a Forbes article that said we have "an all-star team." We all are united in our mission to use new technology to increase the financial potential of our customers in ways that have not been possible in the past.
That's where you come in. We want the best and the brightest. Work is more fun when you know that you're surrounded by people who are as dedicated as you are. Our vision is clear:
Use technology to lower the cost of advice, improve its quality, and simplify its delivery so we can help more people convert their hard work into financial mobility and security. Our goals are simple:
Create the best financial planning and money management solution in the world;
Create a culture that is ambitious, fun, smart, and attracts and retains the best talent in each of our major areas of business;
Meaningfully and measurably improve the financial lives of aging households .
Interest piqued? Read on. Role:
United Income is looking for an experienced UXer who can help us build a great product while scaling a super-productive and high-performing team. You will be working closely with product and design to bring business goals to life.
If you love understanding people's problems, making daunting tasks approachable and enjoyable, and building (and testing, and refining!) user experiences that solve them and make their lives better, this is the job for you!
In this role you are going to encounter opportunities that few other UX people will have. Prototyping, testing, and refining a new company's product? Yup. Working directly with Design and Product Management to build, test, and validate new and engaging tools? You bet. Tweaking products to improve the user experience and hit our well-defined impact metrics? That too.
Your research and testing will drive product, engineering, and design decisions. Your UX work will define interactions with our entire product and set the stage for building an entire UX team.
But let's be clear: United Income is just getting started. There is grunt work to be done. There are going to be a lot of random tasks and not everything you do will fall into the category of super-exciting. There will be heated discussions about prototypes and metrics. There will be questionable ideas to test and validate (or not!) and last-minute deadlines that we need to hustle to meet, but you will be United Income's UX.
I'll need you to come ready to work, self-start UX research to get the answers we need, and own and build the interactions that will define the future of our product. In this role, you will:
The ideal candidate...
- Solve business and user problems;
- Develop interactions, wireframes, sketches, diagrams, designs, prototypes with and without clear direction;
- Recruit a group of ready and willing testers, translate business goals into research questions, and execute research studies;
- Test, refine, and validate your ideas quickly through light-weight research and experimentation to support a fast-moving development process;
- Collaborate closely with our Art Director, engineers, product managers, methodological experts, and users to deliver award-winning experiences;
- Be a user-advocate during the entire development process.
It's a huge plus if you also have:
- Considers User Experience to be more than just aesthetics;
- Builds to meet business needs and solve both user and business problems;
- Constantly searches for simplicity;
- Loves constructive criticism; Is obsessed with understanding the way people "work" and think;
- Shows a willingness to experiment with new design tools;
- Works closely with design to build and enhance an existing brand and design pattern;
- Never misses a chance to consider the little things that make a product delightful.
- Experience in the financial technology sector;
- Design Sprint and prototyping experience;
- Experience building user experiences for older audiences (47 to 70 years old);
- Knowledge and experience with front-end development;
- Information Architecture experience (IA);
- General visual design experience so you can lend design a hand when needed;
- Experience with Section 508 compliance.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- At least 5 years of experience with UX
- A clear understanding of User Roles, Personas, Journey Maps and User Testing
- Existing knowledge of User Interface patterns and techniques
- Fluency in Sketch, or Balsamiq, UXPin and Axure
- Fluency in InVision for sharing, optimization, and testing
- Interaction Design experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience selling your work and results to senior executives
- Experience with the Scrum Agile development process
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).