The Meat Cutter is responsible for providing a high level of customer service and practicing safe food handling procedures. This position performs various cuts for meat items including, but not limited to: beef, chicken, pork and veal. The Meat cutter will also have stocking and merchandising responsibilities in both the fresh and frozen cases.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Follows established department procedures for receiving and unloading incoming shipments, pricing the product and stocking cases to ensure quality, protection, accuracy and proper rotation of product in the cases and cooler
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment to insure compliance with all safety and sanitation requirements as set forth by the company and mandated by state, federal, and OSHA regulations
- Ensures compliance to local, state, and government weights and measures and labeling laws
- Greets and takes orders from customers
- Cuts, trays, and packages all of the required meat and seafood products required for the day.
- Maintains proper safety practices and care while using all the cutting accessories available in the meat department; complies with the use of mesh gloves while using a knife.
- Participates in pre-inventory preparation; includes back stock and assuring tags match products.
To be a Meat Cutter at Sprouts you must have the following qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- Must have a minimum of 2 years professional experience
- Preferred 2-3 years grocery retail experience in Meat department processes and procedures
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Reliable and dependable; ability to follow direction
- Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback
- Strong communication skills; outgoing and friendly demeanor
- Ability to perform repetitious activities
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and stay organized
- Excellent customer service skills and a positive attitude are essential to interact with customers and employees
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates
- Weekend, evening and holiday work required
- Must be able to lift/carry products horizontally/vertically between 25 to 90 lbs., from 4" to 60", a distance up to 10 feet for 20 hours
- Must be able to use a pallet jack to move pallets horizontally up to 500 lbs., requiring a force of up to 85 lbs., a distance up to 100 feet for up to 5 hours
- Will need to horizontally move racks of products weighing up to 70 lbs., requiring a force up to 25 lbs., for a distance up to 50 feet for up to 10 hours
- Must move tables weighing up to 70 lbs., requiring a force greater than 35 lbs., a distance up to 2 feet for up to 1 hour
- Must vertically pull down gate requiring a force up to 10 lbs., for a distance up to 3 feet for up to 1 hour
- A bilateral coupling force up to 30 lbs. for up to 100 hours is required
- Will need to use a 2 step stool for up to 10 steps per hour per shift
- Capable of standing for up to 4 hour continuously, and a total of 8 hours per shift is a must
- Will be working inside a temperature controlled area
- Good vision is required for using sharp knives, band saw, grinder, sausage maker, box cutter, wrapping machine and tenderizer
- Will walk up to 2 miles per 8 hours
In addition to a rewarding career, Sprouts offers a comprehensive program to help support you and your family. These programs include:
- Competitive pay
- Opportunities for career growth
- 15% discount for you and one other family member in your household on all purchases made at Sprouts
- Flexible schedules
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Eligibility requirements may apply for the following benefits:
- 401(K) Retirement savings plan with a generous company match
- Minimum essential coverage medical plans
- Voluntary coverage such as short-term disability, hospital indemnity, accident, and critical illness
- Competitive vacation and sick time programs
Why Sprouts Grow with us!
If you have a passion for inspiring people and a flair for fresh food, consider applying for a job at Sprouts! With a focus on customer service, our neighborhood grocery stores offer high-quality, farm fresh produce, natural meats, plenty of scoop-your-own bulk goods and much more in a fun, friendly, old-fashioned farmer's market setting. Come grow your career in healthy living with a fast-paced, rapidly growing company and teams that pride themselves on empowering others along their journey. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements. Sprouts' management reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.California Residents: We collect information in accordance with California law, please see here for more information.