At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aeronautic Systems has an opening for an Airborne Satellite Communications Responsible Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Palmdale, CA.
The SATCOM Engineer is responsible for the design, integration, test and support of airborne satellite communications systems. The successful individual is expected to be a highly-motivated, self-starter who is willing to work in a fast paced, team setting. Regular activities may include analyzing, modeling, troubleshooting, designing and simulating satellite communications systems, subsystems, and algorithms for communication networks, data links, digital radio, signal coding and modulation schema, and network architecture design.
- Support satellite communication system analysis, design, engineering capture, build, and integration
- Document system requirements and interfaces, with traceability to requirements
- Perform technical evaluation and analysis of supplier proposals, design data, and definition of functional test requirements including acceptance, qualification, system integration and test execution
- Develop statement of work and performance specifications for Suppliers
- Perform liaison duties to disseminate information to Suppliers, Leadership, and other Integrated Product Teams and external customers
- Support Cost Account Managers (CAMs), Project Leads, and leadership for proposal development, cost planning, and performance tracking efforts
- Actively participate in Program Risk and Opportunity Management
- Direct the activities of subordinate engineers to complete project assignments
The selected candidate should thrive in a fast-paced work environment with high expectations, significantly diverse assignments, collaborative/team settings across all levels.
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an accredited university, with a minimum 9 years experience with a Bachelors degree; 7 years experience with a Masters degree; or 4 years experience with a PhD.
- Experience with airborne satellite communication systems integration
- Must possess an active Top Secret clearance with investigation date in last 5 years, and the ability to obtain and maintain special access
- Masters Degree in an Engineering Discipline
- Experience with directional antennas and antenna steering
- Experience with AESAs (active electronically scanned arrays)
- Practical working experience with various types of RF systems, including field support and troubleshooting with test equipment
- Prior unit/subsystem/Payload/Segment Systems Engineering experience
- Strong leadership, management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with a variety of networking protocols
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Aptitude to learn new material quickly
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.