Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the Health and Specialty Care System (HSCS) may be just the place for you! The HSCS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state, and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The HSCS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and science-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan.
Custodian II performs moderately complex custodial work for assigned locations including office buildings, premises and/or resident living units. Cleans, dusts, disinfects, and sanitizes in order to maintain a safe and healthy environment. Operates floor maintenance equipment such as strippers, buffers, vacuums and extractors. Requests supplies as necessary. Assists in conducting inspections of buildings and equipment for cleanliness and needed repairs. Assists in performing minor building and equipment repairs and installations. Trains other custodians as needed. Accountable for maintaining assigned custodial equipment in good working order. Maintains outside areas around building, clears trash and debris. Performs related work as assigned including assuming the duties of other custodians as needed. Works under general supervision with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Essential Job Functions:
Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Performs custodial functions timely and with high quality including sweeping, mopping, dusting and cleaning windows and light fixtures. Ensures proper sanitization and disinfection in accordance with training received.
2. Cleans and maintains floor care, restroom care, bedroom care, nurses' station and isolation areas in accordance with established procedures and safety measures.
3. Maintains and cleans the interior and exterior of assigned buildings. Reports needed repairs. Empties trash. Replenishes supplies as needed.
4. Trains other custodians as needed.
5. Completes documentation in an accurate and timely manner. Protects confidential information. Maintains inventory and equipment records.
6. Helps residents maintain optimal health and provides a safe environment for self, persons served and others.
Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Knowledge of cleaning methods, standards, and sanitation regulations.
2. Knowledge of infection control principles and methods.
3. Knowledge of inventory control principles and methods.
4. Skill in use of custodial equipment, materials and the safe handling chemicals.
5. Skill in use and maintenance of building maintenance tools and equipment.
6. Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
7. Ability to train others.
8. Ability to lift 45 pounds.
9. Ability to stand/walk on hard floors for extended period.
10. Ability to work harmoniously and productively with co-workers and residents.
11. Ability to work irregular hours.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. High school graduate or GED preferred.
2. Six months of experience in custodial or environmental services work in a nursing home, hospital, residential facility, hotel or other similar residential equivalent is preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aid, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct, and HHS OIG list of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18-25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at a state-operated facility.
The salary offered will follow HHS starting salary guidelines which are typically made at or near the posted minimum of the salary range.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, healthcare workers are considered to be at significant risk for acquiring or transmitting hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza. All of these diseases are vaccine-preventable. As a result, state hospital policy requires employees be vaccinated according to their level of contact with patients. In the event you choose to not be immunized for the influenza virus, you may be required to wear a mask and take other protective measures.
There may be no military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.