Microsoft's Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) team builds and operates Microsoft datacenters, which in turn power Microsoft's cloud business. We anticipate and provide capacity for continuous scale, enabling ~30% of Microsoft revenue through Commercial Cloud ($38 billion in FY20 Q1). The CO+I Engineering team (CO+IE) delivers services, applications, and automation supporting datacenter planning, construction, and operation. We own a large portfolio of services, including workflows that enable predicable, lowest cost datacenter construction, telemetry systems that drive high availability and optimized energy usage, and task and performance management applications that help our operation run as efficiently as possible. CO+I Engineering is a competitive advantage for Microsoft, and an important pillar in its cloud success.
The CO+I Engineering team is building an IT Operations, Infrastructure & Engineering program to drive world class security, sustainability and resilience of our global datacenter industrial infrastructure. We are looking for a Director, IT Operations to partner with and assist us on this journey. This Director will be a valued member of the CO+I IT Operations, Infrastructure & Engineering Leadership Team. Responsible for building out the team and driving the team's strategy and development.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to think strategically at a global level and effectively develop key processes, procedures and communications that facilitate cross-functional implementation of an IT Operations department. Be adept at handling multiple high-priority, time-sensitive situations and provide management push-back where appropriate. Be an experienced and motivated IT leader with broad background in IT, operations, infrastructure, incident response, and risk management who can build and lead a dynamic global team with a demonstrated track record of developing strong relationships, collaborating across teams, developing their staff, coordinating multiple timelines, and managing complex, cross-discipline projects.
- Lead CO+I Engineering's IT Operations team.
- Develop a strategic roadmap that ensures IT supports Engineering and the broader CO+I division.
- Recruit, manage, and retain high-performing team of managers and technical talent to evolve and grow IT Operations' capabilities.
- Partner cross-functionally within CO+I and across Microsoft to establish and continually improve IT Operations for Microsoft Datacenters.
- Continuously implement process improvements to simplify and improve portfolio.
- Develop reporting program to create metrics demonstrating continuous improvement, reliability and availability of systems that are relied upon globally at Microsoft datacenters.
- IT infrastructure and systems for CO+I Engineering. Same comment as on prior page
- Oversee Operations' engineering and support.
- BS/BA or higher in a related field or 8+ years' work experience in technology industry.
- 5+ years in an IT, Technology or Infrastructure management, or related role.
- Strong understanding of IT Operations and Infrastructure and with the needs of? internal customers.
- Experience managing diverse global teams, budgets, and schedules.
- Ability to function independently with minimal guidance while being a team player able to effectively manage a demanding workload across geographic and organizational boundaries.
Preferred, not required:
- Deep understanding of ITIL, IT operations, development, and adherence to controls.
- Ability to develop strategy and roadmaps and ensure the team delivers its goals.
- Develop, manage, deploy and monitor compliance with policy.
- Strong understanding of enterprise cloud solutions, 3rd party solutions, and how the two intersect to deliver a high performing IT platform to our internal customers.
- Comfortable working in a highly matrixed enterprise environment.
- Driving action through influence.
- History of driving and incentivizing cross-organizational action.
- Experience developing reporting models for performance against deliverables, operations, controls.
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate complex issues.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and agility to learn new skill sets while delivering.
- Ability to cultivate and manage a diverse team?
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.