The Central Service Technician is an individual who is trained to perform the duties that are directly related to the management of general hospital and surgical instruments, trays and related materials which include decontamination, inspecting, sorting, assembling, wrapping, sterilization and storage; reprocessing and testing of patient care equipment; specialty carts and case cart assembly. Responsible for the stocking and delivery of supplies. Operates and monitors decontamination and sterilization equipment. Responsibilities:
- Decontamination - Disassembles and cleans all general surgical and hospital instrumentation and equipment per established procedure.
- Uses appropriate chemicals for cleaning or disinfecting supplies.
- Handles contaminated instruments and supplies per established procedure to ensure worker safety.
- Wears appropriate personal protective equipment per established procedure to insure worker safety.
- Preparation and Packaging - Inspects instrumentation and equipment for defects, functionality and cleanliness per departmental procedure.
- Sorts and assembles instrumentation and supplies per instrument count sheets and established procedures.
- Selects and uses appropriate packaging materials and methods of wrapping. Initials instrumentation per procedure for tracking purposes.
- Sterilization - Performance meets expectations when the incumbent: Sterilizes instrumentation and equipment according to departmental standards.
- Performs quality assurance monitoring per manufacturer's direction.
- Maintains complete and accurate daily logs.
- Notifies supervisors and/or appropriate department of potential and/or needed repairs so there is no delay in service.
- Sterile Storage - Performance meets expectations when the incumbent:
- Ensures stored instrumentation and equipment are available and in working order.
- Stores instrumentation and equipment providing optimum sterility and/or infection control conditions per established AAMI, AORN and APIC standards.
- Handles and rotates stock per departmental policies.
- Stores supplies away in proper place, keeping the Central Service Department neat and clean per department policy.
- Distribution - Performance meets expectations when the incumbent: Issues supplies as ordered.
- Completes all charge forms as necessary.
- Orders supplies as necessary to ensure par levels for daily operations.
- Stocks specialty and case carts accurately by following pick lists.
- "Stocks carts/designated areas accurately per established par levels.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to read, write and perform basic math functions in order to maintain accurate record. Ability to work independently.
- Strong customer service and team orientation.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain friendly and cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and meet multiple demands.
- Ability to construct alternative positive problem resolutions.
- Flexibility in day-to-day actions and duties.
Complexity of Work:
- Registered certified Central Service Tech preferred.
- Within scope of job, requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment.
- One year Central Service Tech experience or experience in a closely related field preferred.
- Ninety days on the job training to learn the basic skills and departmental policies.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Be able to lift up to 40lbs and push/pull carts up to 400 lbs.
- Dexterity sufficient to perform day to day instrument counting, sorting and assembly.
- Requires corrected hearing and vision to normal range.
- Requires working under stressful conditions.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and/or body fluids.
- Ability to perform duties while walking, standing, stooping and lifting.
- Requires standing and walking for extended periods of time; ability to work in an environment with temperature changes; ability to distinguish colors to utilize color-coded systems used for instrument identification.
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Posting ID: 555360197Posted: 2020-05-28