Provides supervision, assessment, planning and direct patient care to hospice patients in accordance with the agency policies and procedures and the plan of care established by the interdisciplinary team.
Hospice helps patients and their families prepare physically, emotionally and spiritually for the end of life. Our focus is on providing comfort, not cure; on family, not just the patient; and on quality of life, not duration. Cleveland Clinic's hospice team includes physicians certified in hospice and palliative medicine, nurses, social workers, chaplains, home health aides and volunteers. Join our team towork togethersupporting patients at home or in a skilled nursing facility or hospital. Learn more about Hospice and Palliative Care at Cleveland Clinic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOQhUcfZ9kk A Day in the Life of a Hospice Nurse:
- Performs accurate and complete admission assessments and reassessments within specified time frame.
- Assesses patient for safety risks, abuse and neglect.
- Assesses and documents patient's pain using appropriate pain scale and manages patient's pain.
- Prioritizes and documents patient problems based on assessed needs/problems in collaboration with patient, family and health care team.
- Plans delivery of patient care in collaboration with other disciplines to promote wellness and facilitate the discharge planning process.
- Delegates appropriate components of the care plan to other members of the disciplinary team.
- Provides supervision, assessment, planning and direct patient care to hospice patients in accordance with agency policies and procedures and the plan of care established by the interdisciplinary team.
- Administers medication and treatments safely and accurately with a focus on patient comfort.
- Coordinates care for managing a caseload of patients.
- Documents changes in patient condition and effectiveness and timeliness of care/interventions.
- Evaluates, updates and revises plan of care to facilitate achievement of expected outcomes.
- Assesses educational needs of patients, care givers and family considering cultural issues and other special challenges.
- Provides teaching and educational material to the patient and/or significant other concerning the following topics when applicable: diagnosis, diagnostic tests and procedures, safe and proper use of equipment, reason for and safe use of medication food/drug interactions, injury prevention, self-care and nutritional needs.
- Serves as a preceptor for new nursing staff and provides observation visits as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BSN preferred. Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing required.
Competencies (Complexity of Work):
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the State of Ohio.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Heart Association (AHA).
- Valid Ohio Driver's license upon hire; per policy 8-175 thereafter
- Proof of automobile insurance coverage with $100,000/$300,000 coverage, upon hire; per policy 8-175 thereafter.
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Minimum two years critical care and/or medical/surgical experience preferred.
- Previous Hospice and/or oncology experience preferred
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting packages, manual and finger dexterity, and eye-hand coordination.
- Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time.
- Heavy work - Exerting 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Medium Work.
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
Keywords: nights, hospice, palliative, flexible, autonomous
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Posting ID: 555360324Posted: 2020-05-28