L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers' mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers' mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title: Lead Project Engineer
Job Code: AS20200204-43917
Job Location: Muskegon, MI
Position reports to the Director of Engineering and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leader for L3Harris Engine technical issues in support of the program and customer.
- Responsible for engine and engine sub system design, analysis, problem solving/corrective action reports, engine integration, and performance in the application.
- Lead interface for technical discussion between L3Harris CPS and Customers, Suppliers, Contractors, and L3Harris Departments to optimize designs and manage development to meet cost, quality, and schedule commitments.
- Technical lead of cross-functional matrixed engineering team (ME, EE, Software, etc.) to oversee work quality and ensure engineering contract deliverables are met.
- Completes monthly estimate to complete assessments for projects, and delivers data to program finance and program management.
- Supports program management for all technical aspects of a program that may include SOW, schedule, cost and risk.
- Monitors and reports activity status, schedule, actual vs. budgeted hours, and engineering forecasts for technical areas of program.
- Approves engineering technical reports for submission to the customer.
- Accountable for engine system level requirements and derivation of design requirements from vehicle level.
- Estimates engineering costs and is technical lead for new engine proposals, lead for engine related technical special assignments, and lead for engine design and process improvement related projects.
- Indirectly (dotted line report) manages engineering resources assigned to the engine programs, assigns out direct engineering assignments, and evaluates employee performance.
- Ensure Design Verification Test plans adequately captures all data to assess requirements compliance.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent technical BS degree with a minimum of9 years experience.
- In depth product knowledge engine design, engine performance perameters, and vehicle performance.
- Engineering knowledge of mechanics; hydraulics; engine parts such as gears, crankcases, connecting rods, camshafts, and housings; knowledge of performance parameters such as speed, RPM, torque, power and gear ratios; understanding of sub-systems like fuel, coolant, oil, valvetrain; understanding of component stress and strain; and basic knowledge of engine component manufacturing.
- Understanding of powerpack integration into vehicles, and how engines operation impacts the vehicle performance.
- Project management experience and ability to use MS Project to create schedules.
- Proven problem solving and troubleshooting skills, including the ability to coach and lead 8D investigations.
- Highly organized and able to multitask on many different projects at once.
- Must be able to move freely, with or without reasonable accommodation, throughout a manufacturing environment.
- GD&T knowledge, ability to to read machining and assembly prints, and understanding of bill of materials and processes.
- Proven ability to make technical decisions, complete project objectives within budget and schedule, and work with little supervision.
- Proven ability to work well with others in a cross-functional environment while working on multiple projects.
- Ability to track metrics and report status of engineering activities.
- Ability to utilize all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Project.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and the ability to write and review technical reports.
- Ability to get security clearance.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Product knowledge of the L3 AVDS engine, powerpack integration into tracked vehicles, and experience with dynamometer testing.
- An understanding of working with CAD models and programs in Pro E (Creo) and AutoCAD.
- Experience in regulated aerospace/military manufacturing enviroment with CNC Machining, complex assembly and product test.
- MS degree in engineering.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your rsum for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your rsum, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.