Community Health Systems ("CHSPSC, LLC") is one of the leading operators of general acute care hospitals. The organization's affiliates own, operate, or lease more than 100 hospitals in 20 states, with an aggregate of approximately 21,000 licensed beds. The consolidated organization owns and leases community hospitals that offer quality, cost-effective healthcare including a range of inpatient medical and surgical services, outpatient treatment and skilled nursing care. In over 60 percent of the markets served, CHS-affiliated hospitals are the sole provider of healthcare services. CHSPSC, LLC seeks a HIM Regulatory Director for its Franklin, TN, headquarters' HIM team.
Responsible for providing health informatics and information management regulatory leadership and coordinating HIIM services across the multi-facility integrated healthcare system/Physician Practices to ensure data quality, integrity, confidentiality, retention, and security of health information; to include meeting Federal/State Regulations related to these areas. In addition, ensuring compliance with Federal/State regulations related to Release of Information and Patient Right to Access.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Release of Information
• Manage relationships with Corporate-contracted ROI vendors for Acute Care, Physician Practices and Shared Service Centers (SSC)
• Ensure Corporate-contracted ROI vendors comply with contractual obligations regarding quality, timeliness and service to customers
• Provide direction to HIMD/Physician Practice Mangers to ensure requests are processed timely and within Federal/State Regulations
• Address facility issues with ROI vendors; develop and initiate action plans to ensure issue resolution
• Escalate to HIIM Corporate leadership when vendor is unable to resolve issues to facility's satisfaction to provide opportunity for transition to another vendor if desired by facility
2. Record storage, management and retention/destruction
• Provide oversight of storage/retention/destruction for medical records stored by CHSPSC Corporate
• Manage relationships with Corporate-contracted record storage vendors
• Monitor records stored with Corporate-contracted vendors
• Monitors and provides direction to facilities/physician practices regarding record storage, retention and destruction in accordance with policy and state retention requirements
3. Integrity of Medical Record
• Provide oversight of incomplete chart analysis ensuring charts are analyzed within set standards
• Monitors analysis queues for non-centralized analysis facilities
• Manages analysis/deficiency backlog projects as needed for non-centralized analysis facilities
4. Act as a resource regarding regulatory requirements including but not limited to medical record retention, release of information, and HIPAA. Monitor regulatory readiness related to HIPAA and Release of Information, report and direct business partners to ensure compliance requirements; including gap analyses, reports, and action plans to assure compliance.
5. Work closely with other HIIM and physician practice management to develop, direct and implement strategies to achieve HIIM regulatory compliance
6. Educate and inform the HIIM Directors and Practice Managers on current and future regulatory activities through a variety of communication methods such as presentations, audio conferences, email alerts, and others. Communication will ensure understanding of the impact on health information-related principles and practices.
7. Review and revise HIPAA policies and procedures, annual ROI training and Assessment. Develop and implement regulatory policies and procedures as necessary.
8. Other duties as assigned
Required Education: Bachelor
Preferred Education: MHIIM or related Master's Degree
• Minimum of seven to 10 years management experience in HIIM or Physician Practice
• Must present in a professional manner
• Experience with small to large hospitals or large Physician Practice
• Experience in project management
• Must possess critical thinking skills
• Must demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate to all levels of CHS corporate and the facility including staff, physicians, and the C level administration. Requires effective written and verbal communication skills
• Prefer previous consulting experience
• multi-facility experience
Required License/Registration/Certification: RHIA
Computer Skills Required: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software, Spreadsheet software and Database software.
• Must be knowledgeable of information systems and healthcare applications in addition to database applications and report writing software.
• Preferred experience with electronic record systems- McKesson Horizon products, Medhost, Meditech, Cerner, Medicity, AllScripts, Athena or experience with health information exchanges and/or physician portals.
In order to successfully perform this job, with or without a reasonable accommodation, the following are outlined below:
1. The Employee is required to read, review, prepare and analyze written data and figures, using a PC or similar, and should possess visual acuity.
2. The Employee may be required to occasionally climb, push, stand, walk, reach, grasp, kneel, stoop, and/or perform repetitive motions.
3. The Employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions and; therefore, job functions are typically performed under conditions such as those found within general office or administrative work.