At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
NG Space Systems - Propulsion Division is currently seeking a Principal Structural Engineer (Fracture Analysis) for our Science & Engineering team supporting several locations within the Space Systems but home location would be the Promontory (Brigham), UT facility. Role description & Responsibilities:
Analyzes, researches and develops fracture mechanics engineering specifications involving metals, non-metallic or composite structural materials for product design, or operation of product to include structures, mechanical, equipment and maintenance designs. Analyzes fracture mechanics, damage tolerance, durability, design allowable and structural modeling. Specific structural/fracture engineering specialties may include dynamics and loads, stability, and stress fatigue. Tools utilized may include NASGRO (crack growth analysis code) or equivalent, NX, ANSYS/ABAQUS and a variety of software applications. Specific roles and responsibilities will include:
Qualifications :Experience Preferred:
- Assess the structural/fracture integrity of rocket propulsion systems and related components using traditional closed form methods as well as finite element techniques
- Plan and oversee fracture characterization testing of various materials used in the design of rockets
- Reduce fracture characterization test data into analysis input properties and material capability properties
- Prepare reports and memos documenting fracture assessment activities and results
- Prepare and make presentations summarizing fracture assessment results for internal review boards and external customers
- Perform assessment and develop disposition of discrepant hardware and hardware anomalies
- Interact with design and development teams (teams include specialists in Design, Quality, Safety, Thermal, Materials, Operations) to support innovative and creative design solutions that meet rocket motor requirements (technical, cost, schedule)
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Familiarity of design and modeling software (NX)
- Strong and demonstrated communication, planning, project management and presentation skills
- Strong knowledge of fracture/crack growth codes, and associated structural analysis software and their application
- 5 years with BS, 3 years with MS or PhD Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Civil Engineering with emphasis in fracture mechanics and analysis, and solid mechanics or finite element theory
- Research/course work in composite structures is a plus
NGIS is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products and your ideas into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you will be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D