At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Engineering & Sciences (E&S) organization pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission!
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Principle Airworthiness Software Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. The Principle Airworthiness Software Engineer will be responsible to support the Battlefield Airborne Communications Node (BACN) program in airworthiness certification process by ensuring the software requirements have been met for military flight certification. This position will be located in Spectrum Center, San Diego, CA. What You'll Get To Do:
- Review of designs, development, tests and debug applications of systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions. Conducts multidisciplinary research and acts as the Airworthiness Software Compliance Consultant to equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software to ensure software safety and all airworthiness requirements are met.
- Performs technical airworthiness planning and verification support including development and negotiation of airworthiness plans, basis of certifications, means of compliance, and certification activities for complex total systems with IPT/REs as well as customer counterparts.
- Review and coordination with other airworthiness engineers as well as internal engineering disciplines at all levels of total system to include: design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal.
- Performs functional and process analyses, requirements allocation and definition studies to translate customer requirements into criteria and requirements. Ensures the logical and systematic realization of customer airworthiness requirements into system solutions to meet program objectives (e.g. Flight releases, Type certification, continued airworthiness, and operation or airspace integration).
The selected candidate should thrive in a fast-paced work environment with high expectations, significantly diverse assignments, collaborative/team settings across all levels.
#LI-MS-105 Qualifications :Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in a Science, Software Engineering or related discipline from an accredited university and 5 years of combination of software safety and airworthiness engineering OR a combination of 5 years of software engineering with experience in quality and/or software safety.
- Demonstrated work experience in manned or unmanned aircraft systems with certification activities including software test and verification.
- A current active in-scope U.S. Government DoD Secret security clearance is required to start.
- Experience with ADA, C, or C++ programming language
- Master's Degree in a STEM discipline from an accredited university.
- Experience with DoD, Military or Civil Airworthiness experience.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and the ability to interface with all levels of employees and management
- Military aircraft development or modification experience
- Ability to initiate Airworthiness Certification process improvement initiatives
- Design Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: Air Vehicle Subsystems, Avionics, Mission Payload Integration, System Safety
- Familiarity of MIL-HDBK-516C
- Experience with one or more of the following: MIL-STDs-1797, 810, 1530, 3013, 882E, 1796
- USAF Airworthiness Policy Directives, Instructions, and Airworthiness Bulletins (AWB)
- System Safety Risk Assessments (SSRA), program risks and hazard analyses
- A current U.S. Government DoD Top Secret/SCI level security clearance, to include a Single Scope Background Investigation, a periodic reinvestigation, or an original adjudication date completed within the last 6 years.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.