Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) is seeking a Manager of Labor Relations candidate to join our Human Resources (HR) team. The position will be located at our Linthicum, MD facility. Our HR community at Northrop Grumman is composed of incredible people with different abilities, diverse thinking, and varied backgrounds who find professional fulfillment in understanding and advocating for employees, supporting the coaching and development of the management team, and solving organizational challenges through our partnership with business leadership.
The selected candidate will be a strategic partner and consultant to the business to help build organizational capability to meet financial and strategic goals. The position requires HR labor relations experience with respect to preparing for and advising on matters pertaining to contract negotiation, grievance cases, arbitrations, conciliations, federal and state labor legislation, etc. The selected candidate will be the focal point to consult and assist in the development and implementation of HR strategy, programs, and policies. This will include, but not be limited to, talent identification, performance management, employee relations, compensation, reward and recognition, succession planning, organization and staff development, leadership development, staffing, etc. Candidate must have recognized leadership success and have a demonstrated ability to coach, develop and influence a team, peers and all levels of management. Additionally, as part of the matrix environment, strong collaboration with the divisions and other functional HR teams will be required.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
• Leading a team of Labor Relations HR business partners in the delivery of HR and human capital strategy to the assigned client groups while growing the team; up-skilling the HR function, and developing the next generation of HR leaders
• Establish strong business relationships with client leadership teams and create effective partnerships across HR, centers of excellence (COE's), finance, and P&L organizations
• Lead the planning and management of contract negotiations, grievance cases, arbitrations, and conciliation, and all matters related to labor relations
• Identify trends, risks, and opportunities within the organization and develop solutions in partnership with HR business partners, division and matrix leadership, COE and regional/division HR business leaders.
• Ensure best practices are employed in the areas of talent acquisition, assessment, development, employee relations, compensation, organizational effectiveness, strategy, on-boarding, change management and communications
• Analyze and concisely present information to the management team to enable good business decisions
• Leverage and partner with HR colleagues in operations, talent acquisition, compensation and benefits, employee relations, diversity and inclusion and organizational effectiveness to support talent strategies
• Provide business insight through data analysis, research and benchmarking
• Provide day-to-day people leadership of team and create an environment that accelerates development of HR talent; apply rigorous knowledge management to capture learning, drive continuous improvement, and enhance employee engagement
• Assist in driving business growth from an organization and talent perspective
• Play a key change leadership role in the company's transformation by creating a culture of growth, innovation and risk taking
• Leadership and skills Development-focused on strong talent pipeline planning and strategic talent movements to meet the needs of current and future business. Partner with business leaders to build depth and skill agility (cross-training, capability training, etc.) to support the talent/skills planning process. Support and enable leaders to make informed decisions about talent and to hold their organizations accountable for business results.
This position has significant senior leadership contact and requires a candidate with strong leadership and decision making skills with the ability to perform in an environment of ambiguity. The incumbent must have strong communication and cross-cultural skills to be able to effectively interact with a geographically disbursed senior leadership team. The candidate should also have a proven ability to influence for impact at all levels and develop an internal network to gain support for best HR practices, and have the ability to navigate cultural and business sensitivities to champion performance, employee engagement and inclusion.
Candidate may be required to travel up to 10% of time for domestic business, sometimes with short notice.
• Bachelor's degree required plus a minimum of 12 years of experience in HR or related field
• HR Labor Relations experience with contract negotiations, grievance cases, arbitrations, and conciliations
• Experience as an HR Business Partner Manager, leading a team of direct reports in the delivery of HR thought leadership to the client
• Demonstrated success in the application of HR principles, concepts, policies and practices
• Proficient verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with and influence others. Proficient in Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Developed ability to influence, coach, and consult with senior executive management
• Proven ability to support cross-functional projects to completion including organizing, planning, scheduling and following up on project related items
• Advanced degree preferred in Business, Human Resource management, Organization Development, Industrial Organizational Psychology, or related field
• Working knowledge of HRIS platforms and technology, with preferred applications experience in PeopleSoft/CHR, SAP, Taleo/Talent+ and Saba Learning Exchange (LX)
• Advanced problem solving skills and the ability to be flexible and adjust direction when needed
• Experience supporting executive level clients and successful demonstration of leadership consulting, coaching skills and knowledge of human and adult learning principles
• Experience as an HR Business Partner in proactive HR assessment, diagnosis and solutioning of business challenges
• Ability to navigate cultural and business nuances/sensitivities to promote top performance, employee engagement and inclusion
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.