At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
We are currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Propulsion Engineer / Staff Engineer
to provide Deputy Chief Engineer leadership for the CBS team in our Promontory. UT
office. Role description & Responsibilities
The Deputy Chief Engineer will work closely with the Chief Engineer to establish a distribution of responsibilities based on skill set and experience level. The CBS program has completed most of the Development and Qualification phases and is currently transitioning into the Production phase. Primary role is to act as a backup for the Chief Engineer, particularly in cases of meeting conflicts to ensure technical support and direction. Support transition from Development and Qualification to Production, including coordinating priorities with Project Engineers for drawing release, completion of DCR, supporting MRB as necessary, and interacting with vehicle counterparts and customer coordination.
This requisition may be filled at the higher grade based on qualifications listed below. Job Duties:
- Update program execution plans
- Serve as backup to the Chief Engineer
- Supports production operations
- Coordination and verification of requirements
- Support efficient cross functional teams to execute plans
- Coordination with customer for CBS certification
- Coordination and implementation of design and analysis activities
- Development of test plans and coordination of testing with test engineers
- Identification of risks/mitigations and tracking to closure in Risk Tracker
- Coordination and Conducting Reviews
- Lead problem and failure investigations
- Presentations - internal and external
- Ability to Travel expectation of 5% - 10%
- Candidate must have a minimum of 3 years of Project Leadership experience.
- Candidate must have demonstrated ability to:
- Plan and execute complex, fast paced projects
- Communicate technically complex topics and scenarios clearly and concisely
- Build relationships necessary to function efficient teams
- Be capable of actively and efficiently working multiple projects
- Have the ability to get work done through others
- Candidates should have a minimum of 5 years in solid rocket motor design and manufacture experience.
- Strong understanding of solid rocket motor system design, development, and manufacture
- Demonstrated experience with problem solving, problem investigation teams and critical decision making skills
- Strong understanding and broad application of PS engineering systems (engineering standards, configuration management, material review board, process control, tooling, facilities, software, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in generating technical solutions in the absence of complete customer requirements
- Management of engineering scope as it pertains to budgeting and participation in EAC reviews
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including demonstrated experience with high value customer presentations
- Demonstrated team leadership skills - leader of significant technical projects or investigations and management of multiple program tasks to schedule and budget experience with the proposal process
- Knowledge and experience in System Engineering tools and disciplines
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing and design for manufacturability
- BS degree in Engineering required with 9 years experience, MS degree with 7 yrs experience, or PhD degree and 5 yrs experience
- Position can be filled at one level higher
- PhD with 7 yrs experience, MS degree with 10 yrs experience,
or BS degree with 15 yrs experience
- Ability to work with energetic materials as a U. S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, firearms and explosives; "Employee Possessor" - required
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.