Teacher Assistant - .80 FTE (2020-2021 SY) JobID: 33556 Position Type:
06 - Student/Parent Support/Teacher Assist/Teacher AssistantDate Posted:
Alternative Learning Center
For Fiscal Year:
2020-2021 Additional Information: Show/HideADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
- This is a part time position with benefits for 32 hours a week (.80 FTE)
This position requires a minimum of 48 college hours or an Associate's degree or higher from an accredited college or university; or, a high school diploma (or equivalent) and successful completion of the Austin Community College Para Educator Institute course, Region 13 Education Service Center Paraprofessional Program, or similarly approved program/course. Additionally, this position requires an Educational Aide certificate as required by the State of Texas and/or Austin ISD and some experience working with children is required.SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires in-service workshop training, seminars, and courses. This position requires basic understanding of subject areas to be taught and ability to interact with and relate to children. Incumbent may be required to operate a variety of office equipment, including photocopiers, laminating machines, and audiovisual equipment. Incumbent may also be required to operate equipment used in vocational classes (e.g., lawn mowers, tillers, band saw, etc.) Incumbent must have knowledge of CPR and other basic first aid techniques, and other specialized knowledge pertaining to subject areas and/or specific assignments (e.g., foreign languages, sign language, physical restraint/SAMA training); specialized equipment.
Employees in this position must be able to read, write, and speak/communicate in English (and Spanish for bilingual positions) in order to receive and to provide work-related information in a timely manner to other employees, supervisors, principals, school personnel, volunteers and where appropriate, visitors and students.JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
This position is responsible for providing general assistance to teacher and students, either in a school or a program for special needs children. Incumbent must exercise judgment in handling student disciplinary problems and in assessing students' skill levels. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
- Assist teacher in preparing instructional materials, classroom bulletins and other educational displays.
- Work closely with students and reinforce skills introduced by the teacher.
- Tutor individual students (e.g., help them prepare assignments or explain material they do not understand); assist with independent study.
- Conduct small groups such as reading groups.
- Monitor student behavior (e.g., during bus loading, on the playground, in the cafeteria and hallways, and when teacher is absent from classroom); discipline students as necessary.
- Ensure that specific materials and supplies are ready for classroom use.
- Operate audiovisual equipment such as tape recorders, record players, filmstrip projectors, overhead projectors, televisions, and VCR's.
- Correct homework assignments and grade papers.
- Perform clerical duties such (recording attendance/grades and duplicating/laminating material).
- Assist children in eating or using the bathroom when necessary.
- Provide first aid and care for sick children.
- Clean classrooms or eating areas.
- Alert teacher of an individual child's special needs or problems; call parents to discuss students' progress or disciplinary problems.
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is generally conducted in a classroom environment depending on course material or activities assigned (e.g. vocational material may be taught outdoors or in a machine shop environment, field trips and recess may require activities outdoor). This position may involve rare exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position. PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
Incumbent works under the supervision of a classroom teacher and/or principal. All work is reviewed by the teacher to ensure that material is presented properly and a formal evaluation is conducted annually. Incumbent will have contact with students, in order to provide job related
instruction, give guidance, and serve as an appropriate role mode. Incumbent will have contact with teachers and principals in order to receive instructions and feedback, assist in planning, and discuss students' progress/performance. Incumbent will have contact with parents in order to discuss students' progress/performance, to listen to questions and concerns.COMPENSATION:
Duty Days: 209
Pay Grade: CT4
Starting Salary: $14.36/Hr
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Employee Discount ProgramClosing Date: Until FilledAn Equal Opportunity Employer