Teacher Assistant - Special Ed: One to One (2020-2021 SY) JobID: 33498 Position Type:
06 - Student/Parent Support/Teacher Assist/Teacher AssistantDate Posted:
For Fiscal Year:
2020-2021 Additional Information: Show/HideMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
This position requires a minimum of 48 college hours or an Associate's degree or higher from an accredited college or university; or, a high school diploma (or equivalent) and successful completion of the Austin Community College ParaEducator Institute course, Region 13 Education Service Center Paraprofessional Program, or similarly approved program/course. Additionally, this position requires an Educational Aide certificate as required by the State of Texas and/or Austin ISD and some experience working with children is required.SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires knowledge of educational and physical assistance techniques and in-service workshop training, seminars, and courses. This position requires basic understanding of subject areas to be taught and ability to interact with and relate to children. Incumbent must have the ability to work with students with physical, emotional, educational, and/or intellectual disabilities. Incumbent may be required to operate a variety of office equipment, including photocopiers, laminating machines, and audiovisual equipment. Incumbent may also be required to operate equipment used in vocational classes (e.g., lawn mowers, tillers, band saw, etc.). Incumbent must have knowledge of CPR and other basic first aid techniques, and other specialized knowledge pertaining to subject areas and/or specific assignments (e.g., foreign languages, sign language, physical restraint/SAMA training); specialized equipment. Incumbent must be able to physically lift and manipulate students as needed.
Employees in this position must be able to read, write, and speak/communicate in English in order to receive and to provide work-related information in a timely manner to other employees, supervisors, principals, school personnel, volunteers and where appropriate, visitors and students.JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
This position is responsible for assisting special education teachers in preparation of materials and instruction as well as meeting the physical needs of students with disabilities. Incumbent must exercise judgment in handling student disciplinary problems and in assessing students' skill levels. All work must be done in accordance with Austin ISD policies and procedures.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
- Assist teacher in preparing instructional materials, classroom bulletins and other educational displays.
- Works with individual students with disabilities or groups of students in a variety of educational settings.
- At the direction of the teacher, gathers and maintains data on students (e.g., take roll, check assignments, punch cards).
- Helps administer and score objective measurement instruments and assists the teacher with clerical tasks.
- Organizes ARD meetings, gathers materials for meetings and contacts parents to schedule ARD meetings.
- Monitors students with disabilities in special education on school campus and in community settings (e.g., accompany special education students to the office, bus, nurse, class). Supervises students with disabilities in special education in the classroom, cafeteria, playground, and other areas.
- Assists students physically, after appropriate training performs designated medical/health procedures prescribed by physician (e.g., catherization, gastronomic, administer O), and assists students with all physical functions (e.g., toileting, diapering, writing, eating, walking, sitting, standing) as needed. Moves and positions students as directed by teacher and or Occupational or Physical Therapist and moves adaptive equipment and pushes wheelchairs.
- Tutors individual students (e.g., help them prepare assignments or explain material they do not understand); assists with independent study.
- Monitors student behavior (e.g., during bus loading, on the playground, in the cafeteria and hallways, and when teacher is absent from classroom); disciplines students as necessary.
- Ensures specific materials and supplies are ready for classroom use.
- Operates classroom equipment such as DVD players, computers, CD players, online resources.
- Provides first aid as necessary.
- Cleans classrooms or eating areas.
- Alerts teacher of an individual child's special needs or problems.
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made if necessary.
Work is generally conducted in a classroom environment depending on course material or activities assigned (e.g., vocational material may be taught outdoors or in a machine shop environment, field trips and recess may require activities outdoor). Unusual working conditions exist because of working with children with disabilities. Physical and emotional stress may exist. "Disabled" may mean physically, emotionally, or educationally. This position involves physically lifting and manipulating students as needed. This position may involve routine exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
This position works under the supervision of a classroom teacher and/or principal. All work is reviewed by the teacher to ensure that material is presented properly and a formal evaluation is conducted annually. Incumbent has contact with students to provide job-related instruction, guidance, and serve as an appropriate role model. Incumbent has contact with teachers and principals in order to receive instructions and feedback, assist in planning, and discuss students' progress/performance. Incumbent has contact with parents in order to discuss students' progress/performance and to listen to questions and concerns.COMPENSATION:
Pay Grade: CT4
Duty Days: 209
Starting Salary: $14.36/Hr
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Employee Discount ProgramClosing Date: Until FilledAn Equal Opportunity Employer