School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation's top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health
. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations. Department of Anesthesiology - Pain Division InpatientOccupational Summary
Provide direct patient care services, and work with a care team to provide medical services to patients; collect and document data, conduct diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, order and schedule laboratory studies and professional consultations, prescribes appropriate interventions and medications, coordinates the care of patients, provides direct patient care services, contributes to excellence in patient care and provides leadership to the organization. Work Performed
- Must be able to work with a supervising physician in the context of a care team.
- Conducts thorough medical histories, performs physical examinations, initiates appropriate lab, radiology tests or other special tests required for evaluation of pain to develop a working diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Perioperative/longitudinal management of implantable devices.
- Provides information and answers routine questions of patients regarding pain, including preventive health maintenance topics such as diet, weight, smoking and topics related to medical specialty, with basic recommendations.
- Educates patients regarding their pain, treatments, related drug and treatment side effects and hazards. Assists with record keeping, completes appropriate patient medical chart, transcribes lab data and routine correspondence.
- Refers patients to physicians asappropriate for consultation or for specialized health resources and treatment.
- Ensures continuity of care by serving as a liaison between patient and other members of the multi‐disciplinary care team or with other specialty areas as necessary.
- Demonstrates a high standard of moral and ethical behavior.
- Demonstrates compassion and professionalism and a commitment to excellent patient care.
- Lead care coordination, including working with nurses, CMAs, CNAs, residents and fellows.
- Participate in teaching students and residents in techniques and procedures which are unique to specific clinical setting.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified. Required Qualifications at this Level
Work requires completion of accreditedPhysician's Assistant program. State of North Carolina licensure is also required. Experience:
Work requires no previous experience OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department. Nearest Major Market:
Durham Nearest Secondary Market: