Duke University Hospital
is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers. Occupational Summary
Provide physical therapy services to patients/clients who have impairments, functional limitations, disabilities, or changes in physical function and health status resulting from injury, disease, or other causes; provide prevention and wellness services, including screenings and health promotion. The senior serves as a resource person for the team and the department: participates in orientation of new staff therapists, physicians and other health personnel. The senior participates in teaching activities for physical therapy and other health related students. The physical therapist works within practice guidelines as defined by North Carolina state law. Work Performed
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level: See Departmental criteria for each duty listed, and Departmental criteria for clinical ladder. This position will be in the NICU.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrate & articulate sound clinical reasoning in synthesizing complex evaluation data identifying diagnosis and developing a comprehensive plan of care.
- Develop and update appropriate plan of care in collaboration with the patient/family and related to the person's age and lifestyle with measurable long and short term goals and a defined D/C plan
- Understand the role of physical therapy in the context of the patient's age, total needs perspective and environment
- Perform age appropriate competency skills in area of practice and with respect to individual patient's problems.
- Follow intervention protocols and alter plan of care appropriately.
- Discharge patient when goals have been met or medical necessity is no longer warrants intervention.
- Establish provisions for continuing services/follow up as needed.
- Meet competency skills for evaluations in area of practice.
- Consistently meet patient care productivity standard as established for job classification.
- Work cooperatively with supervisors and peers to contribute to the overall productivity of the team.
- Utilize support personnel (aides, sr aides, assistants) as appropriate and available.
- Actively support and participate in patient coverage efforts across all divisions within the department as necessary.
- Assess the learning needs and capabilities of patients and caregivers.
- Initiate patient and family education in a timely manner relative to age, LOS, readiness to learn, and emotional status.
- Utilize appropriate methods and materials for effective learning, monitoring response to education, and adapting program appropriately.
- Ensure that patient/family understands when and how to access further intervention.
- Patient care documentation is timely, legible, and efficient.
- Documentation is concise, pertinent and meets the professions and departments documentation standards.
- Oral reporting is clear, concise, relevant, and timely.
- Perform all required data collection for the department accurately and within expected time frame.
- Peer review standards are consistently met.
- Provide clinical education experiences for students as requested by supervisor and established by CCCE
- Take 1-2 students for long term clinical rotation (Therapist of > 1yr experience).
- Adjust supervisory techniques for individual student's needs.
- Provide outreach and learning activities as requested which may include: in-services on related topics, generating referrals, interacting with volunteers or visitors.
- Participate in data collection for research activities to enhance clinical outcomes.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Ability to push-pull, lift-carry, and transfer patients. Level Characteristics
See Clinical Ladder administration document
Bachelor's degree or certification in physical therapy, with Master's or Clinical Doctorate in physical therapy preferred.
None beyond required education, although more experience may be preferred at times.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Current Physical Therapist license in North Carolina
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department. Nearest Major Market:
Durham Nearest Secondary Market: