Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the Health and Specialty Care System (HSCS) may be just the place for you! The HSCS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state, and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The HSCS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and science-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan.
The Cook III works a 11:00am - 7:30pm shift.
Cook III supervises the daily meal preparation, production, assembly and service. The Cook III assists the Food Service Manager IV and serves as relief in the absence of the Food Service Manager IV. He/she also assists the Food Service Manager III with the SASS meal service supervision. Major duties include: supervising the meal production/preparation, assembly and service; ordering food and supplies and maintaining inventory controls; maintaining sanitation and safety standards; maintaining security; inspecting, monitoring and supervising the Food Service satellite kitchens daily; observing meal service in hospital dining areas and making meal service related recommendations to direct care staff as appropriate; providing in-service training; supervising personnel including overseeing the daily scheduling of the shift personnel, providing performance evaluations, and counseling and disciplining employees using the Positive Performance Management Program; and supervising vehicle operation, sanitation and safety. The Food Service Manager I must have prior medical food service supervisory experience. He/she must be able to work independently. The Food Service Manager I will work rotating shifts. He/she will work unusual hours in the event of disaster, emergency situations or operational necessity. The Food Service Manager will be required to drive a state vehicle and must have a valid driver's license.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
2. Supervises and monitors the production/preparation, assembly and service of food, meals and nourishments in all Food Service kitchens and areas (Central Kitchen, satellite kitchens, and tray line and snack room). Coordinates meal delivery and pick-up to/from the SASH units and State School (SASS).
3. Supervises employees including organizing the daily activities, overseeing the scheduling and activities of shift personnel, completing of performance evaluations, and counseling and disciplining personnel using the Positive Performance Management Program. Completes performance evaluations of assigned staff according to suspense dates to provide timely feedback to the employees. Manages the performance of assigned staff consistent with the principles detailed in the Positive Performance Management Program in an effort to develop and retain staff and in compliance with departmental policy and SASH expectations.
4. Supervises vehicle operation, sanitation, and safety.
5. Calculates requirements for food and supplies. Orders food items (milk, produce, etc.) or supplies. Monitors usage daily.
6. Coordinate meal service with SASS units and SASH wards.
7. Conducts employee meetings and in-services. Trains employees and students. Ensures employees attend mandatory training.
8. Inspects and monitors all food service areas for sanitation, safety and security. Reports work orders. Reports unsafe conditions and rectifies them if possible. Monitors food handling, preparation, assembly, service and storage for proper sanitation methods. Checks security of Food Service areas daily.
9. Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Advanced knowledge of food preparation and service methods, materials and equipment used in medical food service production/preparation, assembly and service; knowledge of therapeutic diets and food service management, safety and sanitation; understanding of purchasing, record keeping, employment practices and management, and personnel regulations; and knowledge of all applicable standards (JCAHO, ICF-MR, Health department guidelines, HHSC-NFS, & HHSC guidelines).
2. Skills in operating and maintaining all food service equipment; have food preparation skills; perform advance mathematics.
3. Abilities to speak, read and write fluent English; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; analyze work problems and make recommendations for solutions and/or solves problems; supervise employees effectively; train personnel; and maintain accurate records. Ability to maintain a proper prospective in situations by using sound judgment, creativity, and resourcefulness. Ability to operate a computer and associated software.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Must possess valid Texas driver's license or obtain it no later than 90 days after hire date. Applicants with an out-of-state driver's license must provide an original certified driving record from the state of driving licensure. Eligible driving record required based on HHSC Fleet Management policy.
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. Graduation from a standard senior high school.
2. Experience in food preparation work.
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aide, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct and HHS OIG List of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18 - 25 must be registered with the Selective Service. Flexibility in work hours may be required for this position. The position may be required to work overtime and/or extended hours. All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at a state-operated facility.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, healthcare workers are considered to be at significant risk for acquiring or transmitting hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza. All of these diseases are vaccine-preventable. As a result, state hospital policy requires employees be vaccinated according to their level of contact with patients. In the event you choose to not be immunized for the influenza virus, you may be required to wear a mask and take other protective measures.
Salary Note: The salary offered will follow HHS starting salary guidelines which are typically made at or near the posted minimum of the salary range.
Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include, but not limited to: 92G, CS, FS, 3300, 4D0X1. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.