Description:Do you find yourself wanting to understand how the pieces of a system work together? Do you enjoy puzzles and love to learn? Have you modeled something in Excel, MATLAB, or similar software? Are you thrilled when you figure out how to do something more efficiently? If the answer to these questions is an unqualified "YES!" then you may be a good candidate to become a Value Engineer for the Engineering Performance & Affordability team at Lockheed Martin (LM) Rotary & Mission Systems (RMS).
In this position, you will help figure out how much it should cost our company to build and support its products (including, but not limited to helicopters, RADARs, training systems, and other high-tech hardware.) Your analyses will be used to create trade studies, proposals to potential customers, and cost targets for ongoing programs. Your work will contribute to Lockheed's success by enabling us to make our products more affordable, and by making sure that we price our proposals appropriately, given constant advances in the state of art.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities [Essential Functions, Estimated Work-Time %]
1. Manage yourself and your relationships with your colleagues while working on multiple simultaneous projects involving a large number of participants and/or customers; [effectively manage oneself, one's time, relationships, and projects, 10%]
2. Learn how to effectively use multiple digital systems to gather, manipulate and record data; [build and use databases, business intelligence, accounting and ERP / MRP software, 10%]
3. When you cannot find the data that you need on a computer, track down the people who can answer your questions and convince them to help you; [apply investigatory abilities and practices, build social networks, 10%]
4. Build models that accurately forecast the costs of our products and/or programs, based on the data that you collect and appropriate application of statistical methods; [create detailed and accurate engineering and financial models, 20%]
5. Write narratives that explain your models, consistently document process, and create audience-appropriate presentations; [communicate clearly and concisely, 15%]
6. Develop a comprehensive understanding of Lockheed Martin RMS's and Sikorsky's financial and managerial accounting systems, including (but not limited to) SAP and COBRA, as they apply to our practice; [become a financial systems expert, 20%]
7. Other duties as needed or required; [make life easier and better for your coworkers, 15%].
While this position is notionally based out of Stratford, CT, it can be 90% virtual. Preference will be given to candidates that live within a commutable distance to a major LM Rotary and Missions Systems facility.
Qualifications & Skills - Required
You must possess these qualifications and skills to be considered for this position.
1. A broad sense of curiosity - you love learning and are interested in a wide variety of topics. You will need to learn a lot about a wide range of disciplines to be successful in this role.
2. Basic systems thinking - you can understand how the many different pieces of a system work together. Our products involve thousands of people, processes, and systems, and you'll need to figure out how the ones that are relevant to your analysis fit together.
3. Written communication skills - you have strong writing skills and can assemble a cogent and concise presentation.
4. Technical interest - our products are enabled by state-of-the art technology. If that's not interesting to you, you will likely do poorly with this work.
5. Software aptitude - knowledge of particular software is less important than demonstrated capability to quickly learn new and complex software. That said, if you don't know MS Windows and Office very well, this is not the job for you.
6. Attention to detail and performance to deadline - your former coworkers and/or classmates could / did / do count on you to deliver high-quality work on time.
7. Perseverance and resiliency - like all work that involves uncertainty, our work is occasionally frustrating. If you find it intolerable to see your hard work come to nothing, this is not the job for you.
8. US Work Authorization - you must presently be authorized to work in the United States to be considered for this role.
Qualifications & Skills - Preferred
These qualifications and skills are ideal and therefore unlikely to be achieved by any one applicant - in fact, some of these qualifications are mutually exclusive. If you possess the required qualifications and skills, please do not hesitate to apply for this position even if you do not possess even one of these preferred qualifications.
1. Love of learning - you've got an advanced degree, because learning is what you do. You only stopped studying because of external circumstances or because you wanted to avoid poverty.
2. Advanced engineering / systems thinking - you've got numeric skills, the ability to visualize or otherwise understand complex systems, and you think optimization problems are fun. You can analyze 2nd or 3rd order effects. You might have completed coursework or have a degree in engineering, applied physics or some other similar discipline.
3. Algorithms - you've written software and learned multiple pieces of complex software in your life. People come to you with questions about a piece of software that you use. You've created databases. You might have completed coursework or have a degree in computer science or software engineering.
4. Statistical capability - you understand descriptive statistics very well and have had prior projects that had significant statistical components. You may have completed coursework in statistics, either theoretical or applied.
5. Familiarity with accounting - you are not flustered by the language of business. You understand the purpose and the problems associated with overhead allocation. You might have completed coursework or have a degree in accounting or business administration.
6. Information management - you have formal experience in the science of arranging, structuring, and displaying information. You might have experience in user interface design, or you might have an advanced degree in library science, information science or a similar discipline.
7. Qualitative data - you have experience or interest in a discipline such as history, anthropology, or sociology that requires the assimilation and integration of large amounts of qualitative information, marshaled to support or contradict a hypothesis.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They're dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories. Experience Level: Experienced Professional Business Unit: RMS Relocation Available: No Career Area: Miscellaneous Engineering Clearance Level: None Type: Full-Time Virtual Location: yes Work Schedule: TEMPO: 9X80A - Standard Fri to Fri (Flex & Rigid) Shift: First