Azure Production Infrastructure Engineering's (PIE) vision is to make it easy for everyone to create, consume, and manage planetary-scale, reliable cloud production services and infrastructure to achieve more. As a team, we bring together significant and complementary capabilities with tooling, infrastructure, monitoring and insights in new ways to increase our perspective. Our diversity of knowledge and experience comes together for the benefit of our users, our colleagues, our business, and ourselves.
Accurate Inventory is the foundation of nearly all operational data insights work, it is also key in responding to security incidents, and maintaining compliance. The Detect and Discover team is responsible for building a critical service that will detect, identify, and publish this information for use by all of Microsoft. The team's larger mission is to improve Microsoft Azure and other services' availability, reliability, and resultant customer satisfaction by creating and leveraging trusted data, models, and insights on top of the foundational service.
You will be responsible for leading the team that designs and implements a distributed foundational cloud service, working in an agile team focused on rapid deliveries of incremental value to Microsoft's core business. You will be required to research, investigate, and standardize algorithms to detect network devices and identify them by utilizing multiple network protocols, as well as cross-platform client-side diagnostics, while effectively collaborating closely with multiple teams and a myriad of data sources across Microsoft. You will be expected to provide reliable leadership to your team members and other engineers in Azure's Fleet organization.
- BS in Computer Science or 4 years of equivalent IT work experience
- At least 10 years of experience as a software engineer, coding an object-oriented programming language such as Java, C#, or C++
- At least 5 years of experience developing scalable software services and distributed systems
- At least 4 years of experience developing and working with network devices and protocols
- Great design and problem-solving skills, with a strong bias for quality and engineering excellence
- Demonstrable ability to own and deliver projects and results of increasing technical complexity
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- Genuine interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Strong leadership, ownership, urgency, and drive to launch services
- Effective collaborator, experienced in creating technical partnerships across teams
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.