Does the challenge of solving real-world problems by digging into data and using machine learning excite you? Are you interested in building AI solutions that will redefine Microsoft data center operations? Have you ever wanted to work on machine learning problems that impact the experience of millions of cloud customers? Come and join us!
The Cloud Applied Artificial Intelligence (CAAI) team within Cloud Operations and Innovations Engineering (CO+IE) is seeking a passionate and talented Senior Data and Applied Scientist. The CO+IE team provides engineering support to the CO+I organization, whose broad goals are to optimize and automate the operation of Microsoft Data Centers (DC) across the planet. CAAI's main mission is to identify and solve complex, high-impact problems that can augment and substantially improve CO+I operations and products through the infusion ML/AI.
As a data and applied scientist in the CAAI team, the candidate will work in a role filled with ambiguity and opportunities, in a domain that includes planning, construction, and operation of DCs. The candidate will be involved with identifying business impacting questions, generating vision statements, and in developing ML/AI based solutions to address these questions. The types of questions/problems that are likely to be encountered will require the derivation of insights from structured and unstructured data, and the use of a variety of techniques including anomaly detection, NLP, time series analysis/forecasting, computer vision, and will require the leveraging of a number of ML and deep learning algorithms and frameworks. As such, the ideal candidate will have experience with each of these technologies or be interested in/excited about learning and expanding their horizons. The candidate can also expect to collaborate with a rapidly growing team of talented data scientists and software engineers to bring these solutions to life and substantially impact customer experience. If you are willing and capable of being a scientist-investigator, and love learning, playing with, and deriving insights from data, throw your hat in the ring.
- Partner with business leaders and CO+IE team to identify business impacting questions that can be best addressed through the infusion of data science and applied ML/AI.
- Develop vision statements that detail how business questions can be best solved.
- Identify and fill gaps (e.g., in data streams) in the knowledge/information needed to answer business questions.
- Develop ML/AI solutions to address business questions.
- Partner with CAAI teams (data scientists, software engineers) to bring solutions from prototype to successfully deployed products across Microsoft's data centers.
- Demonstrated ability to iterate on and to develop business impacting questions.
- 5+ yrs. experience in applied data science and in deploying machine learning/deep learning models in production.
- Expertise with Python and experience with other scripting languages (e.g., R, or similar).
- Familiarity with libraries such as Pandas, Keras, Pytorch, Scikit-learn etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (e.g., demonstrated ability to present to different leadership levels, craft proposals).
- Master's degree or higher in Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Math, Applied Statistics, or related field.
- Authoring of peer reviewed articles or papers in journals, conferences that leverage data science, ML/AI.
- Strong software development, and SQL skills.
- Expertise with time series analysis, natural language processing and/or computer vision.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.