Do you enjoy both coding and writing? Do you love to engage, mentor and help other developers? Are you sure you could write better docs than what you find on the web?
The Office Platform team is looking for a developer writer to join us and help developers successfully build great integrations with our platform. As a customer advocate, we seek someone who understands where developers have questions, need help, want additional guidance, and use that experience, along with great communication and development skills, to create samples, documentation, and solutions across the platforms and technologies that comprise the modern developer platform. We also seek someone that is deeply passionate about building and improving our organizational culture every day. About the Team
The Office Platform team plays a central role in the Microsoft 365 developer story. We are responsible for the platform that allows external developers, as well as internal teams within Microsoft, to integrate with and extend Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook across Windows, Mac, Office Online, iOS, and Android. We partner closely with teams across Microsoft 365 to deliver a cohesive platform story for Microsoft 365 developers.
We foster one of the world's largest developer ecosystems around our Win32 apps, and build a modern web-based extensibility model based on web technologies that runs across platforms. Building a great platform isn't just about technology - we also think deeply about developer experience and ensure that the end to end experience from documentation to tooling to an in-app marketplace provides our partners and customers with resources to feel supported and effective in building powerful, deeply integrated solutions for our shared customers.
We are a diverse, worldwide, passionate, customer-obsessed team with a highly collaborative environment, focused on ensuring that we have a world-class platform and a successful, thriving partner ecosystem. We take pride in working as hard on team culture as we do on product, building an environment where we understand and respect each other and every person feels like they can bring their whole selves and do their best work. About the Position
As a developer writer on the team, you will do the storytelling that helps developers understand what they can do with the platform, answer the questions they have along the way with clear, direct documentation of the platform's capabilities, and help developers feel empowered to leverage our capabilities to generate success for our shared customers. You do this through a combination of written / visual / video documentation, engaging directly with the community, and leveraging data to ensure we're constantly refining and improving our experience over time.
We are looking for someone who is ready to jump in and have immediate impact by:
- Becoming an expert in the Office 365 developer platform and turning that expertise into developer educational material(s) (docs, samples, videos, etc.) to help developers use our platform and ultimately accelerate adoption
- Leveraging community contributions to produce high-quality documentation using an open and collaborative authoring system
- Using relevant data and metrics to develop insights about customer needs, content optimization, and content investment priorities.
- Helping to create an excellent developer experience, ensuring the right information, engagement, and tooling needs are met
- Building a vibrant, engaging community around Office extensibility through collaboration, customer/partner connection activities, and participation in customer communication channels
- Partnering closely within our team and beyond to deliver the right end-to-end storytelling for our customers
- Thinking big and moving quickly with a sharp focus on telemetry, experimentation, and business outcomes
We'd love to talk to you, if you
- Are a passionate problem solver who continuously strives to make things better
- Enjoy wearing multiple hats and digging in to make things happen
- Are equally comfortable articulating the big picture and refining the small details in documentation
- Are customer and data obsessed, always learning, and refining your content to deliver maximum business impact
- Love pushing for clarity in communication and can explain large, complex systems, in simple-straightforward language
- Know how to balance passion and opinion with being a great team player
Office Platform is incredibly committed to diversity and equal opportunity. We believe that the best software comes from a diverse, inclusive team that celebrates the unique backgrounds, perspectives, and skills of all team members. The more we come together, the more we will achieve. Qualifications
- 3+ years of software development, technical writing, or technical PM experience
- 2+ years experience with Git, GitHub, DevOps, and Open Source Software projects
- 2+ years project management experience delivering complex content, or managing multiple projects across multiple stakeholders.
- 2+ years experience with Angular, React, Vue or other modern web dev frameworks
- 2+ years experience engaging with community, presenting and sharing code
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to speak to technical and non-technical audiences
- Passion for distilling complex technical subject areas into simple, easy to understand content.
- Familiarity with one or more additional programming languages
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.