Software Engineer in Digital Security and Risk Engineering (Security Monitoring)
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
"Cybersecurity is like going to the gym, you can't get better by watching others, you've got to go there every day." ~Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft
At Microsoft we believe in the strength of our operational security posture to protect our customer data, supply chain, devices and our intellectual property. If that sounds like an important job to you - you're right - and that's why we need your help!
We have an exciting opportunity for a Software Engineer who is passionate about security, service reliability and building efficiency into all solutions. You will be responsible for contributing to cyber defense and detection engineering in support of the security monitoring program. Key responsibilities:
- Design and develop large scale distributed software services and solutions
- Adhere to and drive modern software engineering practices
- Perform design reviews and request/perform peer code reviews
- Develop "best-in-class" engineering for our services by ensuring that the services and the components are: well-defined and modularized, secure, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored and reusable.
- Consider testability, portability/monitoring, reliability, and maintainability, and understand when code is ready to be shared and delivered.
- Expose test coverage issues, organize and implement integration tests, and resolve problem areas.
- 1+ year(s) of development and design experience working on high availability systems.
- 1+ year(s) of experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: C#, Python and/or PowerShell.
- BA or BS degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Working understanding of Agile methodologies.
- Understanding of data structure and data storage solutions
- Translate problem solving techniques into code
- Knowledge of cybersecurity domains
- Experience with direct, remote and virtual teams
- Experience developing in cloud environments, i.e. Azure stack.
The ideal candidate will have experience in building automation functions, experience assisting with and/or designing enterprise scale services and platforms, technical knowledge in cloud platforms, agile development practices, and experience in designing & tuning telemetry. In addition, this position requires an individual who can demonstrate the ability to ensure highly resilient and scalable service designs through partnership with other members of the service team.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.