Microsoft Hardware is continuing to develop exciting consumer electronic devices. We are a growing team developing ground-breaking hardware, software and experiences across computer vision, machine learning, human-computer interaction, image and video processing.
Because we are breaking new ground, the ideal candidate will be eager to learn high-level objectives and accommodate changing requirements. We are a small team with a great deal of interaction across engineering disciplines.
U.S. Citizenship required
We are looking for an optical engineer proficient in design, test and implementation of camera systems (visible and near IR) for high volume consumer electronic products including HoloLens.
- Work with cross-functional team to draft component specification, design reviews, work with vendors to manufacture parts and validate results by specifying test parameters and methodologies
- Define and perform trade studies of camera & illumination optics, sensors, and packaging. Collaborate with electrical and mechanical teams on integration of camera and/or illumination hardware into products.
- Illumination diffusor design for IR based applications in small form factors
- Understanding of laser-based illumination
- Experience with design, analysis and tolerancing of optical systems
- Design and system simulation/analysis using a variety of software tools to support engineering development(e.g. Matlab, Zemax, FRED, Code V, etc.)
- Provide support for modelling and design for prototypes
- Knowledge of optical metrology for camera characterization
- BS or higher Engineering students majoring in Optics with mechanical aptitude
- Solid skills in documentation: test reports, procedures, design packages.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.