Answers and processes medical emergency codes for the Cleveland Clinic enterprise using prescribed protocols and procedures in conjunction with the Critical Care Response Committee. Answers and provides information to inbound and internal callers by accessing electronic alphabetical, geographical directories and then transferring the caller to the appropriate destination site. Answers and processes after business hours patient and emergency internal calls to physicians using prescribed protocols and procedures. Job Responsibilities:
- Answers internal medical emergency calls, prioritizes calls, determines type of response, and dispatches calls accordingly following prescribed protocols established by Critical Care Response Committee, including providing non-life threatening medical instructions. Relays information to and from emergency sites to all individuals or groups requiring notification.
- Answers and processes requests for crisis intervention team and other emergency codes using prescribed protocols in conjunction with the Emergency Management Team.
- Answers and processes after hours' patient emergency messages to physicians using prescribed protocols.
- Answers inbound calls, searches database or reference material to obtain needed information to transfer caller to appropriate destination within established metrics and productivity standards.
- Offers special assistance to persons who are unable to dial or who are in emergency situations; provides relay service for hearing impaired callers.
- Answers routine questions about the organization using electronic database and reference material; suggests and checks alternate spellings, locations or listing formats for callers lacking details or complete information.
- Performs various data entry tasks, such as updating application database, phone directories and other electronic reference material.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
Complexity of Work:
- Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) certification by the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch (IAED) preferred.
- Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Customer Service: The ability to provide excellent service to all callers regardless of the situation.
- Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Stress: The ability to handle stressful situations and function under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Proactive and Initiative: Using good judgment to assist and help all callers.
- Developing and maintaining cooperative work relationships with others.
- Using computers and computer systems, including hardware and software.
- Ability to assist in training and teaching of others.
- A minimum of 1 year of call center or telephone operator experience.
- Experience in health care or a related field preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree may substitute for the experience requirement.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate telecommunications console.
- Requires frequent sitting, audible speech and hearing, normal or corrected vision.
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Posting ID: 556642942Posted: 2020-05-21