Are you passionate about human space exploration or understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a dynamic and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your commitment, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire humans all over the globe. We need you to bring innovative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will benefit the quality of life of people around the world. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on new challenges for NASA's pursuits in deep space exploration. Jacobs is NASA's largest engineering solutions provider working alongside NASA at centers across the United States.
We have the unique and significant role to partner with NASA at Johnson Space Center (JSC), to be part of every human spaceflight program - the International Space Station (ISS), NASA's Orion spacecraft, which will carry astronauts into deep space, and Gateway, the orbiting platform providing the home for astronauts to work and travel back and forth to the moon's surface, and serving as the platform for deep space exploration. From critical systems on the ISS to enable astronauts to live and work in space; to performing advanced development for systems leading to deep space exploration; to being part of the foundation for Gateway.
We also partner with NASA at JSC, the only NASA center in the United States to curate all astromaterial samples returned from exploration missions, to perform curation services, orbital debris analysis, and basic research to further humankind's understanding of the origins of our solar system.
We need you to be a part of our team!
We are currently in need of an Audio/DSP Engineer - Space Exploration Avionics Systems
to join our team with GeoControl Systems, Inc
., JETS teammate company. Do you have the following skills?
As an Audio/DSP Engineer - Space Exploration Avionics Systems
Qualifications :Requisition Qualifications: This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- Report directly to the Electronics and Electrical Section Manager as part of a group of over 40 other Electronics and Electrical Engineers.
- Work with other engineers in support of the Avionics Division at NASA Johnson Space Center.
- Work in a laboratory environment, following standard operating procedures.
- Tasks include the following within the scope of the Audio domain:
- Lead HALO contractor insight/oversight
- Understand and communicate audio architecture, assess impacts of Gateway and HALO design and operations decisions on the Audio system.
- Manage requirements, including integrated analysis and decomposition.
- Develop documentation, including interface requirements documents, test plans, concepts of operations, and detailed specifications.
- Perform integrated analysis of the Audio system, hardware, and software in relation to other xEMU/Gateway systems and the operational environment.
- Conduct trade studies to inform decision-making.
- Identify, communicate, and track risks, and implement mitigation strategies.
- Generate presentation material and review materials associated with xEMU/Gateway and module-level reviews and milestones.
- Maintain relationships with a diverse technical team, including personnel from engineering, safety, flight operations, crew office, and module providers.
- Coordinate with Gateway CHI Leadership team for all activities above.
- Perform other duties as required.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and ten (10) years of direct engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and eight (8) years of direct engineering experience, or Ph.D. and four (4) years of direct engineering experience.
- Basic understanding of acoustics and electro-acoustics.
- Experience in Sound measurement (linear and A-weighting).
- Previous experience with Measurement microphone usage and calibration.
- Experience with 1/n octave band Real Time Analyzer (RTA).
- Understanding of Microphone and loudspeaker sensitivity, directivity, etc.
- Familiarity with audio editing software (e.g. Audacity).
- Familiarity with audio processing equipment, Power amplifiers, microphone pre-amps, mixers, recorders, equalizers, cross-overs, etc.
- Basic electronic design, analysis and troubleshooting.
- Sound knowledge of Digital Signal Processing (DSP).
- Basic signal processing algorithm programming experience, particularly and digital filters.
- Familiarity with TI Code Composer Studio Integrated Development Environment.
- Familiarity with architecture of TI 67xx DsP family.
- Familiarity with TI DSP McASP digital interface.
- Familiarity with C/C++ programming.
- Familiarity with FPGA device and programming.
- Understanding of I2S digital audio interface.
Why Work on Our Team?
- Experience developing and/or supporting full life-cycle for audio electronics and software.
- Experience in audio system design, integration, evaluation, and testing.
- Experience/Education in Audio circuit design, speaker amp, summing circuits, audio filters, audio circuit design and analysis.
- Basic understanding of microphone, pre-amp, speakers and headsets.
- Familiarity with end-to-end voice communication architectures.
- Familiarity with use of audio systems in aerospace or other life-critical application.
- Familiarity with wired and wireless network communications and VoIP (IP, UDP, RTP, TCP, etc., protocols) and Wireshark usage.
- Experience with voice intercom systems, audio network communications and protocols, Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
- Experience with Acoustics, psychoacoustics, and sound/audio measurement (microphone / speaker sensitivity, reverb time, overall sound pressure, 1/n octave band and distortion).
- Experience in design and evaluation of electronics using Digital Signal Processing and FPGAs (VHDL).
- Experience with SoundCheck audio test software, audio test equipment and software, acoustics and sound/audio measurement.
- Acoustic and line echo canceller algorithm familiarity.
- Understanding of speech quality and speech intelligibility test methods.
- Experience reviewing schematics, PCB layouts, and mechanical designs.
- Digital and analog circuit design and analysis.
- Basic knowledge of space-relevant electronics topics such as EEE parts radiation testing, EMI/EMC, low power, and embedded systems.
- Hands-on electronics testing experience.
- Prior experience with circuit simulation tools such as Pspice, OrCAD, Multisim etc.
- Previous experience with NASA spaceflight project development in terms of Space Station Audio.
- Experience with test hardware such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters, signal generators, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzers, function generators, electronic load banks, power supplies, power analyzers.
- Prior experience with electrical schematic entry and printed circuit board layout tools such as Altium Designer.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers designing and building world-class, NASA space-flight hardware.
- Ability to work productively as part of a team and with limited guidance, manage competing priorities, and clearly communicate over multiple modalities (verbal, email, presentations, formal documentation).
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong background in negotiating technical issues across many stakeholders.
- Background in systems engineering, hardware-software integration, electronic systems design, and networking.
- Experience managing requirements and verification testing.
- Very good technical analysis skills for electronics design.
- Proficient in MS Office programs, particularly MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
Click on the below links to view just a small sample of all that we do! Come join our team and be part of our future. We look forward to seeing you!
See What We Do
Jacobs Aerospace Solutions Overview
(Please view in Chrome or Microsoft Edge)
In addition to exciting career opportunities we also have:
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
- Onsite cafeteria (breakfast & lunch)
- Comprehensive Benefit Package (medical, dental & vision)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Much, much more!
For more information on our partnership with NASA at Johnson Space Center, please visit www.wehavespaceforyou.com
Essential FunctionsWork Environment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has been advertised.
Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task. Physical Requirements
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs (5% of time). Equipment and Machines
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.). Attendance
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical. Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required. Other Essential Functions
Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.