Job Description ABOUT ENCORE BOSTON HARBOR
Encore Boston Harbor is a luxury global destination gaming resort that features 671 hotel rooms with sweeping views of the Boston skyline and Boston Harbor, ultra-premium spa, luxury retail, high-end dining, and state-of-the-art ballroom and meeting spaces. At a total cost of $2.6 billion, it is the largest private single-phase development in the history of the Commonwealth. Situated on the waterfront along the Mystic River and connected to Boston Harbor, Encore Boston Harbor includes a six-acre park along the water that features a harbor walk, an events lawn, public viewing areas, ornate floral displays and retail and dining experiences that overlook the Encore Harbor Walk. The Encore Boston Harbor Assistant Chef
is responsible for supporting culinary management in all aspects of cost control, completing inventories and food requisitions, managing and training kitchen staff, supporting the chef de parties and cooks as necessary, supervising the production of food at all stations while ensuring food quality is according to outlet standards. This positions ensures that all government health regulations, industrial safety standards, corporate and departmental policies are followed.JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures all Encore Boston Harbor core values and property and department standards are implemented and applied.
- Assists in the management of daily kitchen activities to maintain restaurant performance.
- Assists in the management and performance of team members under his/her area of responsibility.
- Monitors all activities of the kitchen to ensure that all applicable internal policies, federal and state laws, rules, regulations and controls property wide are enforced.
- Assists management to ensure department delivers and maintains a maximum level of property-wide service and satisfaction.
- Facilitates communication throughout the kitchen by organizing and presiding over regularly scheduled meetings with team members within the department and with other departments as appropriate to ensure property wide communication.
- Assists in the hiring, performance management, and employee engagement within the department. Provides training opportunities, constructive and positive feedback to team members within area of responsibility. Creates a motivating environment.
- Keeps informed of all new developments within the department and makes recommendations designed to maximize department and company success.
- Effectively manages internal and external guest relations, which may require levels of patience, tact and diplomacy. Responsible for addressing guest and team member issues as appropriate.
- Manages multiple priorities simultaneously and meets deadlines, often in stressful and high-pressure situations.
- Assists in the planning of the menu and in the preparation of the meals for varying sized groups.
- Cleans and/or insures the sanitary conditions and operating order of kitchen appliances, equipment, food storage areas and the kitchen itself.
- Purchases and verifies quality and quantity of food and kitchen supplies required for daily activities and various functions.
- Estimates the amount and kind of food to be purchased, taking into account the nature of the function and the number of guests.
- Plans, budgets, provisions and maintains inventory.
- Mixes, chops and cooks as needed to assist cooks and chefs.
- Ensures meal quality and guest satisfaction.
- Works with safety as a priority, and follows department and company safety standards.
- Maintains relevant knowledge of industry through continuing education and training.
- Performs any other job-related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Age, Gaming and Certifications:
21 years of age or above.
Will be required to obtain and maintain registration or a license issued by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission.
Must be able to obtain and maintain any licensing or active work cards required.
ServSafe or equivalent certification preferred.Education and/or Experience:
High school degree or equivalent required. Culinary arts degree or equivalent experience preferred.
Minimum 3 years of experience as a chef in a full-service restaurant required, 1 year in a leadership role preferred. Hospitality experience preferred. Extensive sanitation and culinary knowledge, and demonstrated knife skills required.
General computer skills and basic knowledge of Microsoft Office preferred.
Candidate must have experience with planning and project management.
Must possess outstanding organizational, interpersonal, and administrative skills, as well as excellent attention to detail.
Knowledge of union as well as non-union working environments preferred.Language Skills:
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents, such as policy and procedure manuals, maintenance instructions, and other related documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries from other employees or guests. Fluency in English required, second language a plus. Ability to write detailed instructions and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations.Mathematical Skills & Reasoning Ability:
Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations. Ability to decipher various reports and maintain reports upon request.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is also regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, and to sit, climb or balance, and stoop, stretch, bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Essential responsibilities include moderate physical ability such as lift or maneuver at least fifty (50) pounds, and varied instances of standing/walking. Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that exists while Team Members are performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is typically moderate. When on the kitchen floor or some back of house areas, the noise level increases to loud. Must be able to interact with internal and external guests in a professional manner.
- Due to the unpredictable nature of the hospitality/entertainment industry, Team Members must be able to work varying-schedules to reflect the business needs of the property.
In accordance with our host and surrounding community agreements, we will give preference to properly qualified residents of the cities of (1) Everett, (2) Malden, and (3) Boston, Cambridge, Chelsea, Medford, and Somerville.