Job Title: Scientist I, Upstream Requisition ID: 117011BR
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.How will you make an impact?
The Scientist position will support cGMP manufacturing activities to ensure that Thermo Fisher provides clients with investigational materials for pre-clinical and clinical use. This position will perform hands on cGMP production of Master Cell Banks (MCB), Master Viral Banks (MVB), recombinant protein and viral vectors under the supervision of the Upstream Manufacturing Supervisor/Manager. Will work with the Upstream Manufacturing Supervisor/Manager to trouble-shoot technical problems. What will you do?
How will you get here?
- Production (70%)
- Assist organizing and coordinating upstream manufacturing activity efforts in production suites
- Execute hands-on cGMP manufacturing with other team members and follow detailed protocols, PBRs and SOPs, to complete production runs in an efficient, safe and correct manner. Prepare and/or request necessary components and raw materials, labels, etc. to successfully execute production batch records
- Assist to ensure that upstream manufacturing modules operate efficiently and meet timelines and schedules through performing required calibration, cleaning, equipment preventative maintenance as required by SOP and the review of material inventory
- Prepare and Review Documents (25%)
- Write process procedures including SOPs, PBRs, and qualification protocols, etc for new processes or equipment.
- Write Change Controls, Planned Variances, Deviations and Investigation Reports
- Review executed Production Batch Records (PBR), and other production related documents
- Coordinate and assist in the technical transfer of processes from clients and/or process development to manufacturing.
- Search and source cGMP compatible equipment and raw materials.
- Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
- A bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization (molecular biology, virology, biochemistry, immunology) and one year of appropriate experience in the same or related fields. Appropriate college coursework may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Master's degree and one year of work experience in the fields of virology, molecular biology, biochemistry, and/or cell biology.
- Hands on experience in cell culture (small and large scale), transfection, infections, rAAV production by transfection and using baculovirus systems.
- An in-depth understanding and good knowledge of downstream processing methods.
- Experience in a cGMP production and testing environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including technical writing.
- Typically, Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- Requires availability to work early in the morning, in the evenings, holidays, weekends, and overtime when required to meet timelines. These hours would be mandatory.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to communicate in a dynamic environment.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Posting ID: 556644575Posted: 2020-05-21