ProMedica Toledo Hospital is one of the largest acute-care facilities in the region. Our 794-bed hospital is staffed by more than 4,800 professional healthcare employees who serve a 27-county area throughout northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan. We also have the area's largest board-certified medical staff, which is made up of more than 1,000 primary care and specialty physicians. Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work in a fast paced environment are a must. In addition, for 15 consecutive years, residents of Greater Toledo have named us the Consumer Choice Award winner in our market. In fact, we're the only hospital in northwest Ohio to receive this honor.POSITION SUMMARY
The Registered Respiratory Therapist will be competent to care for patients of most ages to include children, adolescents, adult and geriatric population. The therapist will have an understanding of both cardiopulmonary and basic exercise physiology concepts. The individual must be committed to providing patients and families with a positive experience through compassionate care and excellent service, safely and efficiently. This individual will display professionalism at all times and maintain patient confidentiality.Accountabilities
1. Achieves and maintains a level of competency to perform prescribed therapeutic and diagnostic procedures within their scope of practice, as required per business unit, in accordance to departmental competency standards, which include general care, critical care, emergency care, and diagnostic procedures, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Conducts comprehensive subjective and objective assessments of the cardio/pulmonary rehabilitation patients
- Determines with the patient and physician an appropriate individual plan of care (ITP)
- Glucose blood sampling, analysis, and reporting; noninvasive monitoring
- Provides both individual and group education and instruction, as appropriate.
- Monitors progression and outcomes
- Arranges interdisciplinary education, included but not limited to nutrition and pharmaceutical
2. Safely assembles, operates and trouble shoots therapeutic and diagnostic equipment required for patient care, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Gas administration, monitoring and analyzing devices, including flow meters and regulators, cylinders, and pulse oximeters
- Mechanical devices, including various exercise equipment
- Laboratory equipment for blood glucose analysis
- Age specific patient care equipment
- Equipment disinfection
3. Understands and applies appropriate policies and procedures, along with American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) guidelines to provide safe, highly efficient and cost effective care, using evidence based best practice.
4. Provides educational needs of patients on disease specific process, tobacco cessation and respiratory care services provided, including instruction for home care equipment and medications.
5. Assist with clinical instruction of respiratory care, nursing, medical students and residents, as needed. Actively participates in the orientation of new staff and contributes to the growth of others.
6. Participates in performance improvement initiatives and collaborates with other disciplines to enhance patient and employee safety.
7. Understands and acts in accordance with all Respiratory Care and Hospital Policies and Procedures for those areas assigned and is able to independently function in those areas.
8. Completes accurate patient documentation, including billing and productivity standards. Participates in creating a plan of care, evaluate achievement of identified goals, record results and communicate pertinent information to appropriate members of the health care team.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested by leadership within the scope of training and practice
Job Requirements REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: A graduate of an accredited respiratory therapy program and maintain credential as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- Skills: Be able to communicate and interact effectively and collaboratively with a variety of professionals, including physicians, nurses, care navigators and administrators, to promote a seamless patient care continuum. Be able to understand and comprehend directions and be able to communicate and respond to inquiries. Tolerate exposure to infectious diseases and follow infection prevention and control strategies. Be able to input and retrieve computer information.
- Be able to move about hospital and between workstations, efficiently and effectively.
- Have excellent interpersonal, organizational, problem solving and critical thinking skills. Take ownership of problems, handle stress in a professional and healthy manner, and make informed decisions. Adheres to the code of ethics set forth by state respiratory care boards.
- Be able to perform essential duties in other business units as part of a shared staffing plan, as required.
- License: Must be licensed to render respiratory care services by the respective state(s) of practice - Ohio and/or Michigan -and hold current BLS.
- Certification: ACLS and PALS certification is encouraged and may be required at some business units.
Years of Experience: Exercise experience or certification preferred. ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE
Membership in the American Association of Respiratory Care (AARC), AACVPR, and other professional organizations is encouraged. ProMedica is a mission-based, not-for-profit integrated healthcare organization headquartered in Toledo, Ohio. It serves communities in 28 states. The organization offers acute and ambulatory care, an insurance company with a dental plan, and post-acute and academic business lines. The organization has more than 56,000 employees, 13 hospitals, 2,100+ physicians and advanced practice providers with privileges, 900+ healthcare providers employed by ProMedica Physicians, a health plan, and nearly 400 assisted living facilities, skilled nursing and rehabilitation centers, memory care communities, outpatient rehabilitation clinics, and hospice and home health care agencies. Driven by its Mission to improve your health and well-being, ProMedica has been nationally recognized for its advocacy programs and efforts to address social determinants of health. For more information about ProMedica, please visit www.promedica.org/aboutus.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, height, weight, familial or marital status, or genetics.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug-Free Workplace
Employee Exemption Type
Budgeted Hours / Pay Period
Additional Schedule Details