Deli/SeafoodBrief Description of Job Duties
Provides direct, prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Interacts with customers for their immediate selection of various fresh meats, cheeses, salads, seafood and hot foods from the deli department. Handles food in a safe manner and ensures the work area is always clean and neat. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:Accountable and Reports to (Job Title):
Store Director, Assistant Store Director; Operations Specialist, Deli/Seafood Manager, Assistant Deli/Seafood Manager PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Assists customers by: (examples include)
- escorting them to the products they're looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
- Answers the department telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
- Takes customer orders at the deli counter, slices product for customer service and weigh, date, price, label and wrap all product.
- Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
- Reviews orders for the day and processes accordingly.
- Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
- Reviews the status and appearance of the food for freshness.
- Monitors temperatures of all hot and cold units for proper holding procedures.
- Ensures that an adequate food supply is ready and on hand and follows a production list.
- Anticipates product needs for the department on a daily basis.
- Prepares, finishes, and replenishes product as necessary.
- Checks in product, puts product away, and may review invoices.
- Clean all equipment in the Deli/Seafood department on a daily basis.
- Removes trash in a timely manner.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
- Responsible for proper inventory control (pricing, stocking, ordering).
- Insures that all food is handled in accordance with local health department regulations.
- Protects associates and customers by removing potential hazards from the sales floor in a timely manner.
(These are considered occasional in nature)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB:
- Mop floors and clean all parts of department.
- Orders product and supplies as necessary.
- Change labels and reload supplies in department.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
- Must be able to solve arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Must be able to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; request supplies orally or in writing.
- Visual requirements include clarity of vision at a distance of more than 20 inches and less than 20 feet, color vision, depth perception and field of vision.
- Must have the ability to handle refrigerated and frozen levels of temperature when retrieving product from freezer
- Must be able to participate in the preparation of salads, sandwiches, fried chicken, fish, etc.
- Must be able to safely operate a slicer and fryer for the production of sliced meats and cheeses and fried foods.
- Must be able to work shifts varying in length and times, including nights, weekends and holidays.
The duties for this position are normally conducted in a store environment. There is significant responsibility to maintain customer service levels and handle multiple priorities. Has occasional exposure to temperature extremes and cleaning chemicals/solvents. This is a fast paced, highly customer interactive work environment.EQUIPMENT USED TO PERFORM JOB:
Telephone, intercom system, calculator, kitchen utensils, fryer, slicer, hot wrapping machine, trash and cardboard compactor, box cutter, scales, pallet jack, knives, Telxon, and stocking rack.CONTACTS:
Has daily contact with the general public and customers. Has contact with federal/state governmental or regulatory agencies regarding inspections.
Physical Requirements for an 8 Hour Workday Activity(at one time)<30Min.1hr2hr3hr4hr5hr6hr7hr8hrStandingSittingWalkingVisual Acuity (i.e., reading a computerHand MovementActivityRight, Left, orBoth handsNot at allOccasionally1 - 2 hoursFrequently2 - 5 hoursContinuously5 - 8 hoursSimple Grasping
Activity (at one time)None<30Min.1 hr2 hr3 hr4 hr5 hr6 hr7 hr8 hrInsideOutsideInside CoolerInside FreezerActions Required While Working on the Job ActivityNot at allSeldom0 - 1hoursOccasionally1 - 2 hoursFrequently2 -5 hoursContinuously5 - 8hoursStairsClimbBend/StoopKneelCrouchCrawlPush/Pull (pallet on jack)SquatReach above Shoulder LevelReach at Shoulder LevelOther (explain)Lifting RequirementsFunctions LiftingNoneSeldom0 - 1hoursOccasionally1 - 2 hoursFrequently2 - 5 hoursContinuously5 - 8hoursDistance Lifted(inches, feet, yards)1 lbs. to5 lbs.
6 ft.5 lbs. to 10 lbs.
6 ft.10 lbs. to 20 lbs.
6 ft.20 lbs. to 30 lbs.
6 ft.30 lbs. to 40 lbs.
6 ft.40 lbs. to 50 lbs.
6 ft.50 lbs. to 100 lbs.
4 ft.Carrying RequirementsFunctions CarryingNoneSeldom0 - 1hoursOccasionally1 - 2 hoursFrequently2 - 5 hoursContinuously5 - 8hoursDistance Carried (inches, feet, yards)1 lbs. to5 lbs.
20 ft.5 lbs. to 10 lbs.
20 ft.10 lbs. to 20 lbs.
20 ft.20 lbs. to 30 lbs.
20 ft.30 lbs. to 40 lbs.
20 ft.40 lbs. to 50 lbs.
20 ft.50 lbs. to 100 lbs.
6 ft.Pushing / Pulling RequirementFunctionsPushing/PullingItems / MaterialForce PoundsDistance Pushed/PulledSurfacePallet Jack
Concrete/tileOther (stocking rack)
Concrete/tileWhy Work for Supervalu?
SUPERVALU Inc. is one of the largest grocery wholesalers and retailers in the U.S. with annual sales of approximately $17 billion. SUPERVALU serves customers across the United States through a network of almost 3,400 stores. Headquartered in Minnesota, SUPERVALU has about 35,000 employees. We know that bright, motivated people are the reason for our success. Because of our employees, we've been providing the best service to our customers for more than 135 years.
We encourage FRESH thinking, offer an environment of inclusion and support, and set no boundaries on your achievement!
A GREAT PLACE TO GROW!