In a vaccine research department under general supervision of the principal investigator, conducts a variety of routine and specialized laboratory tests using molecular, cell biology and/or biochemistry techniques. Performs specific assays of human, non-human primate or rodent specimens in the laboratory following standard operating procedures. Performs quality control analysis and interpretation. Performs lab procedures with speed, precision, and understanding of theory behind tests and procedures. Performs Level I responsibilities with a higher level of problem resolution, analytical ability, and self-direction. This position will report to Dr. Erica Borducchi.Job Location:
Boston, MAReq ID:
Under general supervision of the principal investigator, conducts a variety of routine and specialized laboratory tests using molecular, cell biology and/or biochemistry techniques. Performs lab procedures with speed, precision, and understanding of theory behind tests and procedures. Performs Level I responsibilities with a higher level of problem resolution, analytical ability, and self-direction.Essential Responsibilities:
- Performs routine and non-routine laboratory tests which may include DNA sequencing, gene cloning, in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry, northern blotting; synthesizes and interprets results.
- May operate and maintain moderate to complex lab equipment such as spectrophotometer, flow cytometer, etc.
- Using analytical abilities and sound judgment, makes decisions regarding the reliability and accuracy of results, repeating procedures when necessary.
- May assist with planning specific research procedures and coordinating schedules of tests and procedures
- May prepare written and/or verbal reports on status of research and the technical procedures used, including statistical and graphic summaries of findings and possible conclusions.
- Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences or related scientific field required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Bachelor's degree and one year of experience or a Masters degree with requisite knowledge and skills.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
Physical Nature of the Job:
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Posting ID: 556731074Posted: 2020-05-22