BAE Systems, one of the world's largest defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Systems Engineering Manager to support our engineering teams in Radford, VA and Kingsport, TN, where we have a several active and planned modernization programs. We prefer this position be located in Radford, VA or Kingsport, TN, though we will also consider telecommute with travel for a well qualified candidate. This position will be empowered to lead the systems engineering group in Radford and Kingsport.
The Systems Engineering Manager will focus on implementing value-added systems engineering processes across the engineering department. In this role, you will:
- Mentor other engineers in the application of system engineering principles.
- Provide guidance and support for project design reviews (system requirements, preliminary design, critical design, test readiness review, etc.).
- Decompose top-level requirements and flow requirements into designs.
To be successful in this role, you will need an understanding and appreciation of the System Engineering process and its impact across functional boundaries within an integrated product and process development value stream to achieve balanced technical performance, cost, and schedule. You will need to be able to talk with engineers of different disciplines and maintain a good relationship with our government customer. Specific tasks will include developing, implementing, assessing, measuring, aligning systems engineering process improvements activities across the value stream using process mapping and simulation tools.
The ideal candidate must be proficient in developing, simulating, and implementing system engineering processes, developing physical system and process requirements using Model Based System Engineering (MBSE) tools, and requirements management tools (e.g. Cradle, DOORS, etc.).
BAE Systems helps protect those who protect us. Our engineering department supports the Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, TN and the Radford Army Ammunition Plant in Radford, VA, by providing designs for new manufacturing facilities which produce safer explosives and propellants for our government and commercial customers. Holston and Radford AAPs have provided high quality explosives for our soldiers since WWII and will continue to push the frontier of energetic material synthesis and manufacturing with your help. Learn more about this area of our business at www.baesystems.com/OSIjobs.Required Skills and Education
Preferred Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or science field and 10 years related experience.
- Proven track record of leading successful engineering design, development, and validation.
- Proven track record of successful management of system engineering processes in a project environment.
- Working knowledge of project planning and management including use of PM software such as MS Project.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
- Experience with organizational change and process development.
- PMP certification is desirable.
- Experience in chemical processing facilities or industrial construction is desirable.
- 5 years of experience in DOD or DOE systems engineering of complex systems.
- Experience with requirements management tools such as Cradle, DOORS, etc.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.