Our associates celebrate lives. We celebrate our associates.
Consider the possibilities of joining a Great Place to Work!
A Funeral Support Specialist is responsible for assisting with funeral home and cremation related duties, which includes physical work, and office related tasks. Duties include first call removals, assisting with casketing, setting up visitation areas and driving company vehicles. Office duties include meeting the public, answering phones courteously and in a polite manner and assisting with funeral, memorial and other services or ceremonies as requested. The ability to lift up to 75 pounds and work an on-call rotation schedule including weekends is required.
• Safely drives company owned professional vehicles to perform "first call" removals of deceased from hospital, nursing home, residence, scene locations, to transport to the funeral home or designated location, in accordance with local and state laws as well as company policies and procedures
• Follows processes for chain-of-custody, paperwork and deceased identification
• Cooperates with first responders, Medical Examiners, hospital staff, etc., and accommodates their processes and procedures
• For home removals or any removals whereby family members are present, courteously and professionally interacts with bereaved family members; exhibits sensitivity to environment; follows company procedures regarding required documentation; leaves a warm and courteous first impression
• Maintains and ensures removal vehicle is clean inside and out and is properly maintained and fueled
• Maintains adequate supply of Personal Protective Equipment as well as cleaning supplies, in removal vehicles
• Directs phone calls to appropriate team members
• Greets and receives client families and/or other persons entering the building for information and assistance
• Maintains a friendly attitude while offering assistance and guidance to all persons entering the location
• Assists passengers in and out of vehicles with special emphasis and patience given to the handicapped and elderly
• Assists the Funeral Director in the movement of the casketed deceased and other related paraphernalia in and out of the visitation area, funeral home chapel, church or other place of service
• Assists Funeral Director and/or Licensed Apprentice with dressing and casketing deceased, and placing in appropriate cremation containers
• Drives the hearse or other vehicle in the funeral cortege and/or other funeral related activities
• Performs a variety of tasks during funerals and visitations to assist funeral directors to ensure that services run smoothly as planned
• Transport deceased to and from the crematory; to airports; funeral homes and other designated locations
• Run errands such as for floral delivery, picking up of supplies, documents, etc.
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Valid state/province driver's license with a clean driving record
• Customer service experience a plus
• Funeral service experience a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Professional appearance required. Suits are required when in contact with families; casual attire for vehicle maintenance, general cleaning and outdoor maintenance responsibilities
• Ability to follow instructions given over the phone or in person
• Ability to work and communicate effectively with others
• Ability to work with kindness and compassion for the deceased and their families
• Ability to maintain composure in challenging situations
• Good verbal and written communications skills
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Ability to work an on-call rotation schedule including weekends
When considering the work hours associated with this job, the following factors may apply:
• Work indoors and outdoors during all seasons and weather conditions
• Using company vehicle, travel local and surrounding communities, occasionally out of state; no overnight travel
• Professional Dress is required when in contact with families
• Frequent, continuous periods of time standing
• Climbing stairs to access buildings
• Physical effort requiring manual dexterity
• Ability to lift up to 75 pounds; push/pull up to 200 pounds
• Working beyond "standard" hours as the need arises including weekends, nights and holidays rotation
• Must be able to work an on-call schedule
Postal Code: 03431-0692
Category (Portal Searching): Operations
Job Location: US-NH - Keene
Req ID: Req.84543
Who we are. What we do.
We are North America's largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services. We are more than 20,000 dedicated individuals, who proudly serve our community, provide caring assistance to families in need, and honor veterans and public servants.
We operate under the umbrella of the Dignity Memorial network of 1,800 funeral homes and cemeteries. Dignity Memorial providers care for more than 300,000 families each year and understand the importance of thoughtful, personalized arrangements. For us, there is no greater responsibility than honoring and preserving the story of one's life.
"SCI" refers to Service Corporation International and its affiliates.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
Posting ID: 556734442Posted: 2020-05-22