Help Duties Summary
This is a Senior Executive Service (SES) position located within FEMA's Mission Support. The Chief Security Officer (CSO) will lead, develop, implement, and administer FEMA's comprehensive security programs and will work across FEMA's components and regions in implementing comprehensive security programs where not 100% of security personnel work under the security program's direct chain of command. View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Learn more about this agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
The CSO exercises the FEMA-wide security program authorities in the areas of personnel security, physical security, administrative security, special security, counterintelligence operations, insider threat, internal and fraud investigations, and security training and awareness.
Major duties include:
- Oversees a security network charged with safeguarding the agency's material and information assets and computer systems, as well as the physical safety of employees and visitors.
- Manages and directs the development and execution of a FEMA-wide security program comprising the full range of security activities including the security of classified information and programs and the protection of FEMA facilities including regional, field and outlying installations/offices, investigations of security concerns, enforcement of security requirements, identification of security initiatives and establishment of/compliance with security standards for the agency.
- Manages the development and implementation of agency security policy, standards, guidelines and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of security. Physical protection responsibilities will include asset protection, workplace violence prevention, active shooter preparedness, access control systems, video surveillance and more. Information protection responsibilities will include network security - architecture, network access and monitoring policies, employee education and awareness.
- Leads, manages, and oversees operation of organizational, operational and program planning (current and outyear); critical skill needs assessment(s) and gap analysis, and succession planning; information coordination, management and outreach; and assurance of effective OCSO operations and customer support services on a daily basis.
- Manages and directs the integration and coordination of the various programs for personnel security, internal security, visitor control, physical security, ADP security, telecommunications security, industrial security, security education and awareness, document and information control, operational security, and coordination of activities associated with violations of Federal statutes affecting the security of restricted data, national security information, and strategic resources.
Occasional travel - This position may require occasional non-emergency travel.
- Job family (Series)
0301 Miscellaneous Administration And Program
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- File a Public Financial Disclosure (SF-278) within 30 days of appointment.
- If selected, a one-year SES Probationary period may be required.
- This position is subject to random drug testing.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/SCI Clearance.
As a basic requirement for entry into the SES, applicants must provide evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capability and directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications listed below. Typically, experience of this nature will have been gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the federal service or its equivalent in the private sector.
To meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position, you must show in your resume that you possess the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and the Technical Qualifications (TQs) listed below.
We recommend that your resume emphasize your level of responsibilities, the scope and complexity of the programs managed, and your program accomplishments, including the results of your actions.
The application process used to recruit for this position is RESUME-ONLY. Although you should not address the ECQs or TQs separately, evidence of each must be clearly reflected in your resume.
Any information in excess of 5 pages WILL NOT be considered.
A sample 5-page resume that incorporates ECQs and TQs can be viewed on this link (indexed at page 29 - 37): http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2012.pdf.
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS - MANDATORY
Applicants currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service (SES) appointment, eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved by OPM are not required to address the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs); but a narrative statement for each of the Technical Qualifications (TQs) is recommended.
- Demonstrated executive-level experience leading, developing, implementing, and administering comprehensive security programs.
- Demonstrated executive-level experience working across and integrating organizational lines in implementing comprehensive security programs where not 100% of security personnel work under a security program's direct chain of command.
- Demonstrated executive-level experience implementing laws, regulations, and policies for a broad range of functional responsibilities including programs relating to personnel security, physical security, administrative security, special security, counterintelligence operations, fraud and security-related investigations, and security training and awareness activities.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs):
ECQ 1: LEADING CHANGE: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
ECQ 2: LEADING PEOPLE: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
ECQ 3: RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
ECQ 4: BUSINESS ACUMEN: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
ECQ 5: BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
There are no educational requirements for this position.
- To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo, successfully pass, and maintain a background investigation for Top Secret/ SCI clearance as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a credit check after initial job qualifications are determined (Mythbuster), review of financial issues, such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. For more information on background investigations for Federal jobs please visit the OPM website at https://www.opm.gov/investigations/background-investigations/.
- If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
- DHS uses E-verify, an internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
- Relocation and recruitment incentives MAY be authorized.
- Persons newly appointed to a career SES position are required to serve a one-year probationary period.
- All candidates must be able to deploy with little or no advance notice to anywhere in the United States and its territories for an extended period of time.
- If selected, you will be subject to 24-hour on-call in the event of an emergency. In this event, this service may include duties other than those specified in the official position description. Selectee must be able to relocate to emergency sites with little advance notice and function under intense physical and mental stress.
- If selected for this position, and you have not previously completed these requirements, you MAY be subject to (1) completion of a 2 day onboarding program at your primary duty location; and, (2) completion of a subsequent, multiple day orientation program within 90-120 days of hire, at a location to be determined. Travel associated with the orientation portion of this requirement may be at FEMA's expense.
- This position has been identified as a Testing Designated Position (TDP) because of its security, public health, and/or public safety sensitivity; if selected, you will be subject to random drug testing under FEMA's Drug-Free Workplace Plan (DWP). Refusal to be tested will result in disciplinary action up to and including removal from federal service.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments and experience. Your application will be evaluated by an internal rating and ranking panel. Highly qualified candidates may undergo an interview and a reference check. Unless you have already been previously certified by a Qualifications Review Board (QRB), your Executive Core Qualifications must be certified by an OPM-sponsored QRB prior to appointment.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Sensitive Compartmented Information
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Special-Sensitive (SS)/High Risk
Trust determination process
- Required Documents
Help Required Documents
Failure to provide all the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- A 5 page resume is required.
- Are you a current or former career Senior Executive Service (SES) member? Submit a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, that verifies SES Career status.
- Are you a graduate from an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved Senior Executive Service Candidate Development Program? Submit proof of qualifications (e.g. SF-50, OPM QRB Certificate, etc.).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select "Benefits".
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
Posting ID: 558253166Posted: 2020-05-21