Do you want to be part of Microsoft's journey in making Azure extremely reliable and hugely successful?
Do you want to build the next generation of cloud services that can manage and operate itself?
Do you want to build the best engineering experience for Azure and Microsoft cloud service engineers?
Do you enjoy working with planetary scale data?
If these challenges excite you, this is the opportunity for you!
Azure Production Infrastructure Engineering (PIE) Group is responsible for providing all the foundational systems and tools to build, operate, and support entire Azure and many Microsoft Cloud Services. These systems and tools include engineering CI/CD pipeline, deployment tool, incident management, change management, monitoring, automation framework, data analytics, etc. Many of these products serve both internal Microsoft engineers and external Azure users. As Azure continues to grow rapidly in scale, capabilities, and complexity, we are investing heavily in reliability, scalability, and security to make Azure the safest and most reliable cloud.
We are hiring a Principal Group Engineering Manager to help us build and operate Azure Dial-tone Infrastructure and services - the underlying foundational services that power many other Azure infrastructure services including Engineering Pipeline, Incident Management System, Production Access Platform, etc. Azure Dial-tone Infrastructure and services are required to build, operate, and support entire Azure and many Microsoft cloud services, therefore have extremely high resiliency, reliability and scalability requirements.
As the Principal Group Engineering Manager in the Azure PIE team, you will lead a team of engineers to create the vision and roadmap for our dial-tone infrastructure and services, and build/operate/improve these services. One example of these services is Azure Notification Service which is the backend notification service for both IcM (Microsoft Incident Management System), and Azure Monitor, an external Azure offering. Another example is the highly resilient and scalable infrastructure that hosts our build pipeline and incident management system. It must be there with high availability for Azure engineers to diagnose, repair, and mitigate issues. As the Group Engineering Manager of the team, you will own the vision, strategy and execution to provide dial-tone infrastructure and services to Azure and Microsoft.
As a Principal Group Engineering Manager of the team, you will be responsible for the following:
- Work with Azure CTO office and engineering teams to create and propose vision and strategy for Dial-tone infrastructure and services
- Review design and implementation and ensure it is aligned with our long term vision and roadmap
- Create execution roadmap for Dial-tone infrastructure and services and lead the engineering team to execute on the vision
- Work with Program manager team and Azure partner service teams to support their services on the dial-tone infrastructure
- Recruit and build a strong engineering team with diverse and inclusive culture
- Coach leaders and engineers in the engineering team
- A M.S. degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent industry experience
- 10+ years of software development experiences and 5+ years of experience working on cloud services
- 5+ years of building and managing cloud service engineering teams
- Excellent software/cloud service system design and problem-solving skill
- Deep knowledge of cloud service operation and challenges
- Experience with Microsoft Cloud Services and other major cloud service providers
- Experience with Microsoft AutoPilot platform is a huge plus
- Experience managing data center infrastructure is a huge plus
- Excellent communication skill
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.