The Azure PIE UX team is looking for a designer to help us create tools for both our Microsoft engineers and engineers across the globe who build solutions with Azure. The designer who fills this role will be helping us to improve and build new end-to-end workflows across our suite of tools. There will be a heavy focus on internal tools; several of which we're preparing to take external. There is opportunity to lead and manage junior designers on the team.
In this role, you will lead the design of multiple features and experiences - from concept to launch - through collaboration across disciplines and product groups. You are well versed and practiced in design processes, have solid communication skills, and are able to maintain a big picture view while also enthusiastic to contribute to the hands-on details of any feature. This is an opportunity to help shape the future of how millions of people interact with Azure. What is PIE?
The Production Infrastructure Engineering team builds tools that help engineers to run reliable, performant and quality services at a global scale. Our monitoring solutions maximize the availability and performance of your applications and services by delivering a comprehensive solution for collecting, analyzing, and acting on telemetry from your cloud and on-premises environments. It helps you understand how your applications are performing and proactively identifies issues affecting them and the resources they depend on. Meet the team
The UX team is comprised of designers and researchers who collaborate closely with engineers and PMs. The design studio is an open seating space with the larger Azure design team. Our researchers participate in design reviews, design workshops, heuristic evaluations and other forums in addition to the studies they conduct. There will be regular collaboration with international designers and PMs. Key responsibilities
- Lead and direct designs, vision demos, and prototypes which establish and drive product-wide concepts, brand narratives, and experience value propositions
- Lead designs that ensure quality and consistency of the group's work in concept and execution.
- Get hands on by designing elegant solutions the deliver on our insights and promises.
- Ensure that experiences, layouts, composition, and information architecture for our products are designed, exposed and used in a clear and consistent manner.
- Manage feature priorities to ensure the products we design ship on time, and at high quality
- Document design decisions for consumption by the broader design and studio team, as well as key partner teams
- Identify unaddressed issues within your feature, experience or team area and resolve or find the appropriate person to solve the issue with the highest level of quality.
- Mentor designers for growth in their careers
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Passion for invention, human computer interaction, and seamless user experiences
- Confident presenting and promoting design solutions
- The ability to wear many hats and contribute across disciplines
- A history of designing delightful interactive experiences
- Experience working on a multi-disciplinary team of designers and developers
- Self-motivated and comfortable with the ambiguities inherent in incubation work
- Expertise in user-centered design approaches and interaction design excellence
- Strong brainstorming skills, from participation to leadership
- Capable of reducing complex concepts into understandable, actionable tasks
- A strong interest in design, technology and trends, with an eye toward the future
- 7+ years as a design professional or equivalent experience
- 3+ years as a design leader
- Coding and or markup language experience to help prototype and validate experiences
- Experience producing functional prototypes, motion studies, and interface models
- Video production and editing experience
- Experience with photography or image editing apps
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.