Microsoft is looking for a highly motivated, collaborative individual to join and support the growth of an exciting team. This is a unique opportunity to lead the growth and development of a Controllership Function and drive maturity across Finance & Accounting process, people and systems capabilities.
As the Leader of the Controllership Function, the individual will own the governance of the operating entity's general ledger (GL) close process. The individual will be responsible for ensuring compliance with US GAAP and partnering with Corporate Accounting on all accounting related matters, including adhering to policies and procedures. They will also be a key stakeholder to partner with legal, tax and other corporate groups to govern company-wide practices; as well as overseeing the management of master data governance activities in compliance with reporting and monitoring guiding principles driven by various business rhythm and other key corporate initiatives.
To be successful in this key role, you will need to have superb Finance and Accounting knowledge and experience leading an organization from a Controller or similar role. Being results oriented will ensure you not only keep pace with this rapidly evolving organization, but also play a pivotal role in leading transformation across the business. Executive maturity and balanced self-awareness will be crucial in influencing business partners, assuming a leadership position within the organization and developing rapport across MS Corp Teams.
- Oversees all Controllership Function responsibilities including monthly close, contract and project accounting, intercompany, GL account reconciliations, financial statement preparation and analysis and government controls and compliance activities
- Serves as the key liaison between the organization and Corporate Teams on accounting treatment of large contracts, projects and deals, payroll, internal audit, treasury, tax and trade obligations; as well as communicating results per data security policies
- Demonstrates superb knowledge of the Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) and Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) with the ability to decide appropriate action for routine contractual and financial reporting based on interpretation of FAR & CAS
- Champions the development and oversight of correspondent procedures and controls in accordance with MS accounting policies, SOX requirements, Federal Acquisition Regulation and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement
- Performs key reviews and approvals of journal entries to ensure segregation of duties; Oversees critical reconciliation procedures to align with Corporate books as well
- Issues timely, complete and accurate monthly trial balance to MS Corporate for consolidation purposes
- Oversees and responds to regulatory reporting requirements, external and internal audits and ad-hoc government inquires
- Leads GL month-end close business rhythm. This includes collaboration with direct reports, various corporate teams and other finance community members on close guidelines and requirements.
- Evaluates emerging issues of close and SAP master data life cycle; analyzes the driver from different business needs and pursues a timely resolution and right outcome for the company by working with key stakeholders.
- Analyzes and presents complex financial information in simple terms, presenting conclusions and recommendations to Executive Leadership
- Drives process and systems enhancements through targeted initiatives to drive efficiency, effectiveness and scalability for the new organization
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Team Leadership
- Leads, builds, develops and retains a high-performing, diverse and inclusive team
- Coaches a team of direct reports and performs a functional subject matter expert (SME) role to others, demonstrating Microsoft's leadership principles of creating clarity, generating energy and delivering success.
- Leverages resources to help employees develop skills and support their career interests
- Builds and maintain strong relationships with business stakeholders
- Effectively communicates business strategy and goals and how they align to the team's work. Plan the team's work to achieve goals and respond effectively to changing priorities, maintaining team energy and results
- Holds the team and individuals accountable for results and recognize appropriately
- 15+ years of experience in similar Controller role required with substantial Corporate Accounting experience and familiarity with US GAAP/SOX
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, economics, business administation or related discipline or field. Master's degree or MBA or the equivalent work experience to a MBA program preferred
- CPA; Big 4 Accounting firm experience is a plus
- Government Contractor experience is a plus
- Experience with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and US Government's Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) is a plus
- Skilled communicator with an executive presence, able to influence and shape favorable business outcomes
- Demonstrates a continuous improvement mindset to financial process, controls and compliance environments
- Proficiency in managing entity financials in a leading ERP/GL tool (e.g., SAP) is a plus
- The successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen.
Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.