Microsoft Cloud Hardware Infrastructure Engineering (CHIE) is the team behind Microsoft's expanding Cloud Infrastructure and is responsible for powering Microsoft's "Intelligent Cloud" mission. CHIE delivers the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform globally with our server and data center infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability solutions. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide and we are looking for passionate, high energy engineers to help achieve that mission.
As Microsoft's cloud business continues to grow the ability to deploy new offerings and HW infrastructure on time, in high volume with high quality and lowest cost is of paramount importance. To achieve this goal, the Cloud Hardware Manufacturing Engineering (CHME) team is instrumental in defining and delivering operational measures of success for hardware manufacturing, improving the planning process, quality, delivery, scale and sustainability related to Microsoft cloud hardware. To achieve this goal, the Cloud HW and Infrastructure Engineering team is looking for a dynamic, highly motivated leader to lead the Manufacturing Test Engineering team which is at the core of enabling Azure Server Hardware.
The leadership role is pivotal for managing all aspects of a Manufacturing Test Engineering cross geo organization, supporting a fast paced, ever changing, multi-platform international manufacturing & production environment. The role requires a collaborative business leader with strong technical experience in system architecture, industry best practices in development and implementation of manufacturing test capabilities to achieve coverage, test time reduction and turn around time reduction. The candidate should have a strong technical background in Hardware Systems & test methodology, Manufacturing process & Fixtures, validation methodology, with an ability to quickly understand both the big picture and underlying details, technology roadmaps, costs, and business needs. The role places a premium on working collaboratively and developing successful internal and cross-functional relationships with multiple stakeholders and the ability to successfully influence outputs in a highly matrixed environment. In addition to identifying efficiencies to improve team productivity, the ideal leader in this role has the capability to clearly synthesize, analyze, and frame complex engineering/operating models and processes in a logical and forward-thinking manner.
• Manage all vectors from methodology, manufacturing test strategy and execution across numerous platforms and architectures in Manufacturing Test Engineering organization.
• Drive and adopt industry best practices delivering best in class schedule, test time reduction, coverage and predictability & quality
• Lead Definition of test strategy, implementation and optimization of test setup/processes at the CM including design and qualification of test fixtures, test equipment and test software
• Investigate and introduce new manufacturing test technology and methodology to enhance production efficiency
• Push for "Data Driven" decision making, which includes developing key KPIs to highlight gaps, and areas which require improvement
• Be actively involved in technical decision making and provide technical leadership to the team
• Provide leadership in resolution of key technical, logistical and organization issues but also be willing to own action items and deliverables
• Identify efficiency initiatives and implement driving those aspects in the organization
• Partner with all stake holders (internal and external) to help drive key decisions and execution alignment
• Develop and sustain a highly effective and motivated team to deliver to the organization and MSFT Hardware Azure needs
• Be responsible for employee life cycle including performance management, task/project management, training and providing tools for career development of the organization
• Work with a broad constituency of organizational levels and matrices to advocate the adoption and application of quality metrics, process improvements, and concepts and principles aimed at improving the efficiency of product creation
• Track, analyze and report progress to key stakeholders
• Facilitate change management and lead subject matter experts to increase productivity using enhanced metrics, process improvement methodologies and new, high performance dashboards and tools.
• Effectively communicate development status, risks, and challenges with proven track record of driving clarity in ambiguity.
• Coach, mentor and technically assist other leads and team members
• Establish, track, evaluate and report on system metrics
• Effectively communicate development status, risks, and challenges - and identify implement mitigation options
• 10+ years of experience working in a manufacturing test operations, Test engineering, test development environment
• 5+ years of experience leading large teams in the Manufacturing test engineering
• 5+ years of relevant professional experience in leading Hardware Manufacturing Test development, engineering or similar functions in a large organizational setting
• Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent work experience.
• 15+ years of experience working in a manufacturing test operations, Test engineering, test development environment
• Master Degree in the Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics or similar Engineering Disciplines
• Proven problem resolution, judgment, negotiating and decision-making skills
• Be a self-starter and a leader that can maintain focus and deliver results consistently that drive business capability value
• Drive through ambiguity, self-motivated and thrives on minimal supervision. Sound judgment, decision-making skills, and ability to work under continual deadline pressure in an extremely volatile and high paced environment
• Confident, takes ownership, willingness to "do what it takes" to get the job done with proven experience leading complex programs/initiatives to successful completion
• Strong written and oral communication skills with experience providing project status to line and senior management
• Strong understanding of business planning and cross-organizational consulting and/or support processes - preferably in a very large, matrixed enterprise
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.