Are you passionate about human space exploration or understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a dynamic and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your commitment, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire humans all over the globe. We need you to bring innovative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will benefit the quality of life of people around the world. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on new challenges for NASA's pursuits in deep space exploration. Jacobs is NASA's largest engineering solutions provider working alongside NASA at centers across the United States.
We have the unique and significant role to partner with NASA at Johnson Space Center (JSC), to be part of every human spaceflight program - the International Space Station (ISS), NASA's Orion spacecraft, which will carry astronauts into deep space, and Gateway, the orbiting platform providing the home for astronauts to work and travel back and forth to the moon's surface, and serving as the platform for deep space exploration. From critical systems on the ISS to enable astronauts to live and work in space; to performing advanced development for systems leading to deep space exploration; to being part of the foundation for Gateway.
We also partner with NASA at JSC, the only NASA center in the United States to curate all astromaterial samples returned from exploration missions, to perform curation services, orbital debris analysis, and basic research to further humankind's understanding of the origins of our solar system.
We need you to be a part of our team!
We are currently in need of an Electronics Design Engineer - Embedded Motor Control Systems
to join our team with ERC, Inc.
, a teammate company. Do you have the following skills?
As an Electronics Design Engineer - Embedded Motor Control Systems
Qualifications :Required Education/Experience/Skills:This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- Report directly to the Electronics and Electrical Design Section Manager as part of group of over 40 other Electronics and Electrical Engineers.
- Work directly with NASA Johnson Space Center and the Robotic Systems Technology Branch in designing the next generation of embedded motor control systems.
- Contribute directly to the design of the next generation NASA robotic and exploration vehicle platforms with an emphasis on creating new, integrated electrical system designs for embedded sensor-based motor controls, high power motor drive systems, power distribution systems, and electromechanical power conversion for high performance robot actuation.
- Support new designs from conception, analysis, and manufacturing, through to operational test and deployment.
- Work in a laboratory environment, following standard operating procedures.
- Perform other duties as required and assigned.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and five (5) years of related engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and four (4) years of related engineering experience, or Ph.D. from an accredited engineering school and zero (0) years of related experience.
- Prior experience with electrical schematic entry and printed circuit board layout tools such as Altium Designer or similar
- Prior experience with FPGA circuitry design and coding in associated VHDL development environments.
- Experience with hardware and VHDL-based development for motor control systems (includes brushless DC or BLDC and stepper motors).
- Experience with DC electromechanical power conversion (high performance actuation, electric motors and motor drive electronics, etc.)
- Experience with low voltage power distribution system design.
- Prior experience with electrical schematic entry and printed circuit board layout tools such as Altium Designer or similar.
Why Work on Our Team?
- Project based experience designing, building, testing, and troubleshooting power distribution electronics, battery systems, and other electrical hardware (requirements definition; system modeling and simulation; circuit analysis; PCB design, fabrication, and assembly; harness design and fabrication; requirements verification)
- Experience with sensor fusion and fault tolerant control design for robotic actuators.
- Understanding of classical and modern control theory.
- Experience with motor controller design, selection and integration with associated mechanisms.
- Prior experience with microcontroller circuitry design and associated embedded software development environments.
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system and programming in C/C++ and Python.
- Prior experience with Robotic Operating System (ROS)
- Prior experience with EMI/EMC and troubleshooting noise issues
- Hands on experience in the design, build, and test of embedded motor control systems
- Familiarity with data interface protocols and associated hardware such as Ethernet, RS232, RS422, RS485, I2C, SPI etc.
- Experience in the hardware design of embedded systems (microcontrollers, FPGAs, sensor interfaces, I2C/SPI buses, UARTS, etc.)
- Experience with test hardware such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters, logic analyzers, function generators, electronic load banks, power supplies, power analyzers
- Prior experience in design and test of power supply and conditioning systems.
- Prior experience with circuit simulation tools such as Pspice, OrCAD, Multisim etc.
- A successful track record of fielding custom electrical systems in an operational setting.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers designing and building world-class, NASA space-flight hardware.
- Proficient in MS Office programs, particularly MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word, OneNote and Outlook.
Click on the below links to view just a small sample of all that we do! Come join our team and be part of our future. We look forward to seeing you!
See What We Do
Jacobs Aerospace Solutions Overview
(Please view in Chrome or Microsoft Edge)
In addition to exciting career opportunities we also have:
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
- Onsite cafeteria (breakfast & lunch)
- Comprehensive Benefit Package (medical, dental & vision)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Much, much more!
For more information on our partnership with NASA at Johnson Space Center, please visit www.wehavespaceforyou.com
Essential FunctionsWork Environment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has been advertised.
Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task. Physical Requirements
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs (5% of time). Equipment and Machines
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.). Attendance
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical. Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required. Other Essential Functions
Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.