L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers' mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers' mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
This person will be part of the company's mechanical engineering team with responsibilities for the mechanical design of the IVER family of underwater vehicles and associated support equipment. This person will report to the Engineering Manager and may supervise more junior (or whatever the preferred HR term is for lower experienced) engineering personal. This person will provide input and recommendations for Internal Research And Development (IRAD) projects and support business growth by researching and responding to customer solicitations. As time permits, this person may also prepare and present research results on topics of general industry interest at trade conferences or contribute to published trade publication articles.Specific Duties:
- Serve as a Lead Engineer responsible for the totalMechanical system design of the Iver family of underwater vehicles.
- Provide detailed design models and drawings of all Ivermechanical components using Solidworks.
- Manage the design and prototype of new components torapidly test changes and improvements.
- Ability to technically define and decompose AUV systemand functional requirements, document specifications, and identify andarchitect new requirements.
- Work closely with Operations to transition new designsto production / manufacturing using establish company processes.
- Assist in the testing and qualification of the Iver AUVas well as implementing and testing all design changes.
- Experience in designing water tight pressure vessels inthe 300 PSI pressure range; o-ring design, carbon fiber tubes, machined sealing caps, rotary seals for shafts that exit the pressure hull.
- Experience in designing machined aluminum parts thatform the tail of the vehicle; drive motor and seal, servos to fin shafts supported and sealed.
- Experience in designing Delrin components that formparts of the vehicle that may hold sensors and have o-ring seals.
- Experience in designing structures to support printedcircuit boards and electronic subsystems.
- Experience in fabricating I machining parts using CNCLathes and Mills
- Assist in the integration of new sensors to support growth and customer opportunities.
- Assist purchasing Dept to select vendors for purchasedmechanical components.
- Assist QC Dept to verify compliance of incomingpurchased parts with required specs.
- Manage the engineering input to outside machine shopsthat will be fabricating components.
- Manage the documentation control system for all Iversubsystems and components
- Interface with customers on behalf of L3HarrisOceanServer Engineering and Business Development
Education: May have broad knowledge of project management.
Bachelor's Degree and minimum 9 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience.
Requirements: Extensive Solidworks & Solidworks PDM Experience. FEA for structural analysis. Design of undersea systems. Knowledge of pressure vessel design and analysis, material selection for corrosive marine environments, high pressure seals.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your rsum for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your rsum, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.