Fermi Spacecraft Operations Systems Engineer
KBR is seeking a Spacecraft Operations Systems Engineer (SOSE) to support the Fermi/GLAST (GSFC, SSMO, Code 444) on-orbit operation. The SOSE will work internally with a small team of spacecraft engineers and systems analysts as well as a variety of external science and support organizations to perform all aspects of Fermi operations planning, execution, analysis, troubleshooting, maintenance, anomaly response, process improvement tool development and documentation for ground and space elements in both offline and real-time environments. Responsibilities
Required Education / Experience
- Operate, maintain and troubleshoot MOC ground systems that interface with White Sands GFEP's and two Science data centers (LISOC and GIOC) to ensure that 100% of science and HK data transmitted by Fermi through TDRS is transferred to the relevant centers in a timely manner.
- Operate, maintain and troubleshoot the MOC systems that interface with FDS and other Mission Planning applications to ensure planning products are valid and transferred into and out of the MOC in a timely manner.
- Operate, maintain and/or troubleshoot other Mission planning systems used to schedule TDRS supports and build/upload stored command loads to the spacecraft.
- Perform real-time, on console, nominal, special and contingency operations using ITOS and its peripheral applications and interfaces and help maintain, troubleshoot, upgrade and test these systems.
- Operate, maintain and troubleshoot offline TaaS and ITPS telemetry analysis systems and perform spacecraft health and status analysis.
- Configure, operate and troubleshoot the Fermi spacecraft simulator.
- Generate weekly, quarterly and ad hoc status reports to ensure the customer is kept situationally aware.
- Develop and maintain operational procedure documentation for all aspects of the operation.
- Serve as company representative advising customer and contractor personnel on technical requirements for products or services, support equipment and electronic equipment installation.
- Plan, direct and coordinate functions involved in the design and development, installation, test and integration of ground systems and spacecraft processes.
- Perform other assigned duties within the scope of the contract as the situation dictates.
- On a rotating basis, certifiedFermi engineers perform 24 hour on-call duties; responding at any hour of any day to mitigate and alleviate the impacts of spacecraft and ground system anomalies.
Desired Experience / Skills
- BS degree in engineering or applied science
- 0-2 years related experience
- Specific contract requirements regarding education and experience will prevail.
- Must have previous NASA or other space agency mission operations experience.
- Experience with Flight Dynamics, ITOS, STK, Perl.
The optimum candidate will be an engineering generalist with knowledge in several disciplines such as electrical, mechanical, astrophysics and aerospace and will have experience with such operational COTS applications as MATLAB, Excel, STK, ITOS, MPS, SNAS, Red Hat, etc.). This candidate will also have general software app/tool development and scripting experience using Perl, Python, Visual Basic and/or PhP languages. Finally, the ideal candidate will possess a process improvement mind set as this team operates in a highly dynamic and flexible environment where process improvement is a key measure of success.Scheduled Weekly Hours:
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.